Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently tested the limits of the duramax and ended up popping a CV axle as well as universal joint on the front driveline. When the u-joint sheared off, it jolted the stub that goes into the transfer case, causing the housing to crack and drain the transfer case of its fluids... so when I pulled the transfer case loose from the transmission adapter, ALOT of transmission fluid came out. I'm talking at least a quart maybe 2. I wasnt expecting any fluid since most had drained out from the cracks and when I pulled the drain, only a few drops came out. The only thing I can think of was fairly recent, I had the tranny fluid changed and they had overfilled it. It made a huge mess underneath my truck. But would the overflow for the transmission allow it to get inside that sealed adaptor piece? I havent checked the transmission fluid level yet but if it's full, is there a way that the transfer case could hold that amount of fluid on the transmission side without properly draining? It's on a 2015 2500hd duramax. 1st time tearing into her so I want to make sure and fix what needs fixed before putting her back together

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I am sure others will chime in but on here I think I have read there is a seal at the end of the tranny to separate the transmission fluid and transfer case. That is why some say to not run motor oil in the transfer case in case the seal goes bad and the tranny will pull the motor oil in. So I say all of that to say I think it is only a seal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.