Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We pulled my bed off at the rig the other day to wire wheel the frame and bottom of the bed and paint it, and I ended up dropping the fuel tank too, everything underneath looked pretty good still I usually slap some spray paint on before winter anyways, but the sending unit is rusted to peices, I cleaned it up good but the return side which is pltgged anyways was pretty flemsy and I dont see it lasting too many more damn PA winters. anyone know what a new one runs, or if they make a lift pump that fits in the tank?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
While you are there, check the fuel lines where they are clamped down by the fuel cooler. That will be the next leak, because the salt get in there and corrodes the lines.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Glad I don't live in the "Rust Belt" any more. I used to spray everything underneath with used ATF in a garden sprayer, sometimes mixed in a little drain oil, helped a lot to reduce rust. Things don't rust here in the PNW, no salt.....

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of spraying mine down with used oil from the rig since theres like an unlimited suppy of it, just wasnt sure how shitty it would look in a few months.

JC, all the other lines and frame looked great, I keep it hosed and painted regulary but the crossmember by the fuel tank was starting to look rough (surface rust) but the sending unit looked like hell, im waiting for it to get a pin hole and leave me sit, I beat all the loose stuff I could get off it and put the primer and paint to it.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man ill check em out I'm gonna hose the inside of the bed rails with oil and underneath the bed sides

1 - 6 of 6 Posts