Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Highly recommend you get an Insight gauge and watch tranny temp, engine temp and EGT’s. These trucks have a sweet spot when towing that keeps the EGT’s and engine temp in check and for me it’s usually 2200 - 2500 RPM depending on trailer weight and grade. If you lug it (too low rpm), the EGTs will spike because your not pulling enough air through it. If you run too high RPM’s, your engine temp and tranny temps will run away on you. If your constantly going between gears your trans will get hot. None of this is a big deal if your pulling a small / medium sized trailer but you should pay attention if you’re pulling a loaded toy hauler or pulling steep grades. I see a lot of out of state flat lander trucks pulling campers on the side of I70 here in Colorado (usually Fords - no joke) with the hoods up and over heated because these guys think more gas pedal is the answer. It’s not. Learn how your truck likes it and don’t get in a hurry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '09 does exactly the same thing. I attribute it to the tune, and have gotten in the habit of keeping my rpm's up when hitting a hill. I pull a 36' 13,000lb fifth wheel.
I have a 2009 3500HD (42K mi) w/Banks Ecomind tuner on level 5 towing a 15K 36' toy hauler. I always use Tow Assist. Can you expand on the "keep the RPMs up" comment. My fan clutch always kicks in and cools it back down when climbing but I am learning (second time out with trlr) how best to tow this beast. Any advise would be welcome.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,879 Posts
I have a 2009 3500HD (42K mi) w/Banks Ecomind tuner on level 5 towing a 15K 36' toy hauler. I always use Tow Assist. Can you expand on the "keep the RPMs up" comment. My fan clutch always kicks in and cools it back down when climbing but I am learning (second time out with trlr) how best to tow this beast. Any advise would be welcome.
Sorry it took so long for anyone to respond. Long weekends are hit or miss on forums, obviously.

On your 2009, you have the option to manually select your gear range. The position just past D on the gear selector is the Manual mode. Once you put it there, you can use the + and - buttons to tell the transmission how many gears it can use. If you select 5, it will only shift to 5th gear, etc. This can help you keep the truck in a specific rpm range while pulling a load. My LMM pulling about 11k camper really liked 2000 rpm, so I would target that range while cruising by locking out 6th gear, or if running on slower roads I would lock out 5th and 6th gear.

Another advantage to it is you can preload the rpm for an upcoming hill. If you're in Manual mode, you can bump it down to the next lower gear and the transmission will downshift. I do that at the bottom of the hill and just leave the cruise control on. It helps maintain speed going up the hills. Granted I'm not doing this climbing mountains, but there are a few decent grades in my part of Michigan that require a little throttle work on the upside.

·
Registered
2007 classic silverado
89 Posts
I battled overheating on my LBZ for two years, I finally changed out both thermostats and it made a huge difference. I was hitting 235 plus regularly and now it's hard to hit 215. Start with the thermostats.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts