Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm getting ready to start pulling the body off my truck in order to access the turbo and up pipes easier. Looking to see if you guys have any hints or tips on how to do this! Looking for the easiest way possible! Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
No pointers on that but me and my hired man pulled the downpipe out, up pipes, and swapped the turbo and did egr delete on an lbz in ten hours.. Wasn't fun I'll admit but definitely wasn't worth pulling cab off, seems like that'd be a lot of extra work..

Oh and that was the first time either one of us had ever done that too..

Not trying to talk you out of it by any means, just saying my experience is all...

Good luck

·
Registered
291 Posts
all depends on how rusty the truck is, ive done em both ways. cab on cab off. no time difference. the first 2 i did with the cab up, sure it was easy to get to turbo bolts and up/down pipe bolts. but just keep in mind you have to disconnect trans cooler lines, lots of wiring connections, intercooler pipes, oil cooler lines, brake lines. lots of potential issues can arise if these dont want to come apart.

the last turbo on lb7 i did i left the cab in place and did it all with the truck intact. actually went pretty smooth and it was a 02 and a plow truck. im in ny and they arent afraid of road salt here in syracuse! took me about 6 hours.

as long as you have a good flex head rachets and good 12pt impact sockets and torches i wouldnt pull the cab. too much headache and potential problems.

the "downpipe" "ohhhh its a pita" threads you read....its not all that bad, and once thats out of the way its free sailing after that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
you can do a search on here or you tube, a guy did a right up and video of it.

fyi....you dont have to break the a/c system, just unbolt compressor and hang it from hood or something, the front end all stays together. ive seen people pull the front clips to raise a cab......no need, lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would see if you could find a GM tech that would help you with ideas on warranty claims. See if GM pays to pull the cab for any of that stuff or if warranty pays with it all intact. I would bet GM would take the cheapest way out and that would be the way to go. I thought about pulling mine to do the downpipe and clean and paint the frame while the cab was off but it was just not feasible to do it that way. hardest part of the downpipe was that damn tranny dipstick tube.....

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would see if you could find a GM tech that would help you with ideas on warranty claims. See if GM pays to pull the cab for any of that stuff or if warranty pays with it all intact. I would bet GM would take the cheapest way out and that would be the way to go. I thought about pulling mine to do the downpipe and clean and paint the frame while the cab was off but it was just not feasible to do it that way. hardest part of the downpipe was that damn tranny dipstick tube.....
GM does not always advise on repairs the most cost effective way, TRUST me on this. They advise on things during repairs that make NO sense a lot more than you would believe!

It's a crap shoot, cab on, cab off. More than likely a 50/50 split on advise.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've read about unbolting the body on one side to get to the DP easier, in my opinion it's not worth the hassle and you end up moving things for no reason. Just get in there with some beer and cuss a lot. A LOT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.