Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been looking at things and am curious
how many people dont have it done but have alot of miles on their trucks?
how many people have it done?
how hard was it to do?

·
Vendor
3,529 Posts
I did it with a used 50k mile t-case I bought after the previous owner ran the original t-case dry. I got the inexpensive piece from IdahoRob, its a solid steel piece that drops in place after you open up the case. To me it looks like a bulletproof fix for the pump rub. Very easy to do.

·
Vendor
2,279 Posts
Well I bought this truck with 240K on it and it already was worn through...

It is not real hard to do...Should take about 4-5 hours to remove it install the kit and install it back on the truck - and I am slow.

Edit: The pump did not wear a hole...The snap ring that holds the shaft in place made the hole.... it bound up because the case ran out of oil. Also had to replace the rear output shaft bearing.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did it with a used 50k mile t-case I bought after the previous owner ran the original t-case dry. I got the inexpensive piece from IdahoRob, its a solid steel piece that drops in place after you open up the case. To me it looks like a bulletproof fix for the pump rub. Very easy to do.
does this not involve anything like the merchant one does?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had 185,xxx on my old t-case and did not have the pump rub kit! I just had to replace it but not because of pump rub and when i tore it apart to see what was wrong with it there were no worn spots

·
Vendor
3,529 Posts
does this not involve anything like the merchant one does?
It accomplishes the same thing, the merchant kit uses a different designed pump housing that you swap. Its an easy swap as well.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm..this makes me wonder..robs seems easier i just set it in there andi m good to go? merchants seems like there is more work

·
Vendor
3,529 Posts
hmm..this makes me wonder..robs seems easier i just set it in there andi m good to go? merchants seems like there is more work
They are both very simple once you have the case open Kyle. One is a drop in piece over the pump housing and the other you just take a few bolts out and swap in the new pump housing.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
now i wonder if this could be why my trans is shifting bad?? now i gotta go see if i got a hole in there

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well would the rub through be on the top or the bottom of the tcase like closesest to the ground or farthest from the ground because if its closesest to the ground..no warn through spots..so much for my hoping that was my problem

·
Registered
684 Posts
Seems that stop and go driving will increase the chance of getting pump rub. I am on the freeways all of the time and so far at 173K miles, nothing.

·
Registered
622 Posts
could you guys explain what the pump rub is im not sure i fallow you

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I have Merchants fix installed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts