Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wanting to see if anyone had gone to a "Push to Start" ignition on the newer trucks (Specifically my 2019 Denali) or if it was even possible? Seems a shame that the 1500s and most other vehicles have advanced to the point they get it but the 2500s and up dont/

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Push starts are kind of a gimmick...they fail alot more than traditional ignitions and are for more expensive to service. Maybe its a blessing, i wouldnt buy a truck with push start. Manufacturers also probably assume that most people that drive said trucks don’t want push start

-head studs and gaskets
-66mm
-5” straight pipe axle dumped
-Rail plugged
-full s&b intake and mouthpiece
-dans diesel 800 HP built trans with billet stator
-glowshift EGT, boost, fuel pressure, edge cts2
-Cognito built tie rods
-fuel lab 100 gph lift pump
-Dans sportsman CP3

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don’t understand the fascination with push to start. It seems ridiculous to have a fob near the vehicle to start it. I’ve heard of plenty of people who started their vehicle, drove off and left the fob behind and then they can’t start their vehicle after it’s been shut off. The argument can be had about locking the keys in the vehicle but you at least know where they are.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
How quickly we get addicted to technology.

My wife once called me when a 99 BMW would not unlock with the fob. She called and asked me to drive across town to bring her my key.

I asked her if she had tried inserting the key into the door lock...............dead silence for about 10 seconds and then she came back on the phone and said she felt stupid.

This was only our second vehicle that even had a fob. She had been putting the key into the door locks her entire life but forgot about it in the time span of a couple years.

Personally I have no problem putting the key into the ignition lock.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
First cars I learned to drive (about 60 years ago) had push button starters. I was glad when tecnology advanced to newer cars that simply needed a twist of the same key to start. We didn't have key fobs back then,you actually had to stand in the rain while you fumbled getting the key in the lock... and trucks drove like,...well, trucks! Good old days, they called them!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
The wifes 2015 grand cherokee has a FOB with push button start, It's actually really convenient the way jeep has it setup. Just have to keep your keys in your pocket, touch the door handle to unlock. Get in and push the button. I wish my truck had it.

Reactions: Jeremy Thomas

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wifes 2015 grand cherokee has a FOB with push button start, It's actually really convenient the way jeep has it setup. Just have to keep your keys in your pocket, touch the door handle to unlock. Get in and push the button. I wish my truck had it.
THIS GUY GETS IT.

To everyone saying "back in my day standing out in the rain fumbling with the keys" and "you should be happy with a simple turn the key to start"

You don't need AC. You don't need a heater. You don't need power windows. You don't NEED 99% of what theses trucks have. BUT when you spend 70,000 (just using around sticker price) for a vehicle you kind of expect it to have the top of the line stuff.

It was a simple question that should have had a fairly simple answer. I didn't want smart ass remarks about "back in my day".

It's either "yes, ive seen this done, or I did this" or it's silence because without a solution to the problem I have proposed I really don't care about opinions.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Was wanting to see if anyone had gone to a "Push to Start" ignition on the newer trucks (Specifically my 2019 Denali) or if it was even possible? Seems a shame that the 1500s and most other vehicles have advanced to the point they get it but the 2500s and up dont/
honestly, a keyed system is much much more secure. but you could pretty easily cobble something together with a cheap remote start, few relays, a button and a spare key (for take over).... Keep in mind that an aftermarket or DIY push start conversion will likely have even less security than a factory system, which already has very little. With a key, you need to be within an inch, or maybe two of it to pull chip data as the chip in the key is inductively coupled to get data, it is not directly powered and the signal is not broadcast, with a PTS system you can clone it from 20-30 feet away. Give me a key all day every day please and thank you.

Also, since PTS keys are constantly transmitting data, and most people leave them near their front doors, its very easy to walk up, clone the key and steal the vehicle. It happens all the time with PTS vehicles. I seem to remember dodge having a major issue with this a couple years back.

Lastly, i want to point out that this does not require movie like hacking skills and what not, you can do this kind of stuff with 15 minutes of coding and an arduino for all of 50 bucks in parts. The kid down the street that tinkers with electronics in the garage is probably capable of pulling this off.

Can you do it? yes, really anything can be done if you want to invest the time and energy to make it happen, but is it a good idea? well, no probably not. Id feel pretty lousy if my $50,000 truck grew legs in the middle of the night.

The doors you can easily do by adding a remote start. compustar and directed (others may have it as well) have a little fob you add to your key chain that works like a proximity key for lock and unlock. My stance on push to start still stands though. This system also compromises your vehicles security to some extend but its unlikely to get it stolen.

How quickly we get addicted to technology.

My wife once called me when a 99 BMW would not unlock with the fob. She called and asked me to drive across town to bring her my key.

I asked her if she had tried inserting the key into the door lock...............dead silence for about 10 seconds and then she came back on the phone and said she felt stupid.

This was only our second vehicle that even had a fob. She had been putting the key into the door locks her entire life but forgot about it in the time span of a couple years.

Personally I have no problem putting the key into the ignition lock.
Ive had this same call with a customer at last a few times. The battery in the remote dies and they are helpless. I once had a customer scream at me for over an hour about how the remote start almost killed her and her dog because she got locked in her car and couldent unlock it with the fob.... apparently pulling the handle on the door, pressing the unlock button, or rolling the windows down to unlock it from the outside did not occur to her. Then there was the kid who spent 2 hours telling me he couldent start his car.... it was in drive... I think were devolving back into apes at an alarming rate....

THIS GUY GETS IT.

To everyone saying "back in my day standing out in the rain fumbling with the keys" and "you should be happy with a simple turn the key to start"

You don't need AC. You don't need a heater. You don't need power windows. You don't NEED 99% of what theses trucks have. BUT when you spend 70,000 (just using around sticker price) for a vehicle you kind of expect it to have the top of the line stuff.

It was a simple question that should have had a fairly simple answer. I didn't want smart ass remarks about "back in my day".

It's either "yes, ive seen this done, or I did this" or it's silence because without a solution to the problem I have proposed I really don't care about opinions.

with that attitude, by all means, please go to a aftermarket shop and have them install an aftermarket PTS system. I truly hope your truck does not end up on naked on cinder blocks. I have been there with other vehicles and its not a good time.

Also, with no offense intended towards the person you are quoting, that is unlikely. The average owner does not have the understanding of vehicle systems required to understand the costs that come with the convenience. That is not to say they are dumb, or uninformed, just that they don't have the years of experience working on those systems it takes to appreciate their weaknesses. would it be nice to hop into the truck hit a button and go? absolutely it would. But does the compromise in security, not only of the vehicle, but of its contents, justify that minuscule savings in convenience? well, that is for you to decide, but as someone with the experience to understand the risk to the vehicle i would say no, it is not. At the end of the day its up to you what you do with the truck.

for the record, the day GM starts putting PTS buttons in there trucks exclusively is the day i switch to a different brand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
honestly, a keyed system is much much more secure. but you could pretty easily cobble something together with a cheap remote start, few relays, a button and a spare key (for take over).... Keep in mind that an aftermarket or DIY push start conversion will likely have even less security than a factory system, which already has very little. With a key, you need to be within an inch, or maybe two of it to pull chip data as the chip in the key is inductively coupled to get data, it is not directly powered and the signal is not broadcast, with a PTS system you can clone it from 20-30 feet away. Give me a key all day every day please and thank you.

Also, since PTS keys are constantly transmitting data, and most people leave them near their front doors, its very easy to walk up, clone the key and steal the vehicle. It happens all the time with PTS vehicles. I seem to remember dodge having a major issue with this a couple years back.

Lastly, i want to point out that this does not require movie like hacking skills and what not, you can do this kind of stuff with 15 minutes of coding and an arduino for all of 50 bucks in parts. The kid down the street that tinkers with electronics in the garage is probably capable of pulling this off.

Can you do it? yes, really anything can be done if you want to invest the time and energy to make it happen, but is it a good idea? well, no probably not. Id feel pretty lousy if my $50,000 truck grew legs in the middle of the night.

The doors you can easily do by adding a remote start. compustar and directed (others may have it as well) have a little fob you add to your key chain that works like a proximity key for lock and unlock. My stance on push to start still stands though. This system also compromises your vehicles security to some extend but its unlikely to get it stolen.

Ive had this same call with a customer at last a few times. The battery in the remote dies and they are helpless. I once had a customer scream at me for over an hour about how the remote start almost killed her and her dog because she got locked in her car and couldent unlock it with the fob.... apparently pulling the handle on the door, pressing the unlock button, or rolling the windows down to unlock it from the outside did not occur to her. Then there was the kid who spent 2 hours telling me he couldent start his car.... it was in drive... I think were devolving back into apes at an alarming rate....

with that attitude, by all means, please go to a aftermarket shop and have them install an aftermarket PTS system. I truly hope your truck does not end up on naked on cinder blocks. I have been there with other vehicles and its not a good time.

Also, with no offense intended towards the person you are quoting, that is unlikely. The average owner does not have the understanding of vehicle systems required to understand the costs that come with the convenience. That is not to say they are dumb, or uninformed, just that they don't have the years of experience working on those systems it takes to appreciate their weaknesses. would it be nice to hop into the truck hit a button and go? absolutely it would. But does the compromise in security, not only of the vehicle, but of its contents, justify that minuscule savings in convenience? well, that is for you to decide, but as someone with the experience to understand the risk to the vehicle i would say no, it is not. At the end of the day its up to you what you do with the truck.

for the record, the day GM starts putting PTS buttons in there trucks exclusively is the day i switch to a different brand.

This is an answer I can accept. You don't simply state "no that's a stupid idea". I don't like the people who always want to throw there 0.02 in but give absolutley no reason behind it.

You gave the options available BUT you ALSO listed reasons on why it would be a poor decision. You didn't make it seem like it was a totally emotionally based and logic void statement. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
This is an answer I can accept. You don't simply state "no that's a stupid idea". I don't like the people who always want to throw there 0.02 in but give absolutley no reason behind it.

You gave the options available BUT you ALSO listed reasons on why it would be a poor decision. You didn't make it seem like it was a totally emotionally based and logic void statement. Thank you.
I do try to fully answer a question. I think something like this might make everyone happy as a middle of the road compromise. You will also require a compatible compustar remote start installed to use this.

https://www.compustar.com/accessories/ez-go/

You will still be compromising some security, but to the best of my knowledge there is no way to leverage this system directly to steal the car, at best it will only give you entry.

Ill add an additional point, were you to cobble together a PTS conversion as mention above, you could use something like that ez-go to add a layer of security by requiring the ez-go to activate a relay that enables the start button. This would bring you closer to factory like security, though it is not the intended application of the ez-go and would require some creativity with the remote start install. You would need to use the lock and unlock wires or arm and disarm wires from the remote start in an unconventional way to enable or lockout the fire button. That said, keep in mind also that every additional component you add is one additional failure mode. I would not remove the cylinder, and i would still carry a key as a backup in case the PTS system were to fail you.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Personally i just think they arent worth the money when they fail in the long run. That gets expensive fast for something that should be so simple: its just used to start the vehicle

-head studs and gaskets
-66mm
-Rail plugged
-Cognito built tie rods
-Dans sportsman CP3

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Personally i just think they arent worth the money when they fail in the long run. That gets expensive fast for something that should be so simple: its just used to start the vehicle

-head studs and gaskets
-66mm
-Rail plugged
-Cognito built tie rods
-Dans sportsman CP3
You are not wrong, there is a lot more hardware in the PTS system, a lot more electronics and the possibility of failure of any one of those systems is higher just due to the additional number of points of failure. Additionally, as the key is only required to START the car. This is a safety feature since if the batter dies while its driving it must stay on to prevent an accident, it means you could theoretically start the truck with the keys in the house if they are close enough and end up stuck wherever you turn it off. While modern PTS vehicles are much better about key distance detection, this does not stop the key from falling out of your pocket or accidentally getting left behind or given to some one by mistake. There are more factors to consider in this system. Ultimately for me it seems to be a long list of down sides with minimal gains in convenience. Really, how much time is saved by pushing a button vs turning a key in the grand scheme of things. Imagine this scenario, though kind of extreme, still totally possible. a couple has matching trucks, cute right? well lets say they have similar key chains and park side by side. You both accidentally swap key chains, but they are close enough to start the correct truck. Both people go to work or where ever, go to get back in the trucks and now they both dont start. That would make for a really lousy day. Now this may sound crazy, or totally hypothetical, but i have had customers in similar situations many times.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
THIS GUY GETS IT.

Man you get butt hurt easy. Get in your push button vehicle and go to the store for some preparation H for your inflamed asshole. I didn’t see specific guidelines for an answer on here so I thought I could give out my .02 cents apparently not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
THIS GUY GETS IT.

I agree with what you are saying, maybe we should have kept the crank rod in the front of cars, then only strong people could steal your car.

Roll up and down your windows, a little inconvenient for a one arm person, but who cares, I have two arms...yes, some of like modern conveniences allowing for more time to concentrate on your driving.

When someone ask a question looking for an answer to that question, why would you just start giving your opinion. He didn't ask for opinions, just straight forward answers, my guess is none of these folks have preformed this modification or maybe no modification ever.

I was very interested in an honest straight forward answer, guess this is the wrong forum for that.

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,157 Posts
Did you seriously just join to complain about this forum and its members on a 3 year old thread? If you read your post, you're doing the exact thing this OP was frustrated about; you're replying with an opinion rather than ideas for how it can be done or the fact that you've seen someone else do it.

Thank you for joining our forum, but I really encourage you to take a few minutes to explore our introductions area, as well as read some of our more current topics to get a feel for the culture around here before you make a judgement on our members or the forum itself. We have a lot of helpful folks with a lot of knowledge they are glad to share, and I look forward to you becoming a contributing member as well.

Make sure to take a moment and fill out your truck details in your profile. It helps people know what vehicle you're referencing when you ask a question about a problem you're having.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I agree with what you are saying, maybe we should have kept the crank rod in the front of cars, then only strong people could steal your car.

Roll up and down your windows, a little inconvenient for a one arm person, but who cares, I have two arms...yes, some of like modern conveniences allowing for more time to concentrate on your driving.

When someone ask a question looking for an answer to that question, why would you just start giving your opinion. He didn't ask for opinions, just straight forward answers, my guess is none of these folks have preformed this modification or maybe no modification ever.

I was very interested in an honest straight forward answer, guess this is the wrong forum for that.

dunno..... why did you resurrect a 3 year old post to start giving yours?

Additionally, i provided a great deal of information above that should answer this question for you. In regards to your statement that no one above has performed this modification before, i can assure you that i for one have not, for the reasons posted above, but i am more than capable of doing so and i still 3 years later, would not. But should you want to do this for yourself, there are kits out there you can get, or you can, as stated above, modify an aftermarket remote start to accomplish this task with some degree of security.

Lastly, when your first post is to tell everyone in this forum how unhelpful they are, you are bound to get snotty replies like these.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts