Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a V-6 4.3 Vortec in the 1997 Chevy Cheyenne pickup truck, but im wanting to put a 6.6 L Duramax in. I realize that I will also have to change the transmission and wiring harness as well. Has anyone attempted to do this?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have a V-6 4.3 Vortec in the 1997 Chevy Cheyenne pickup truck, but im wanting to put a 6.6 L Duramax in. I realize that I will also have to change the transmission and wiring harness as well. Has anyone attempted to do this?
Go buy a duramax!! It would be a lot less of a headache and probably come out about the same price as doing a swap! You have to think, the tranny, the rear axle, engine bay modifications, and more to make the drive train fit!

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Would cost big bucks and take several months-- and you would also need technical advice on many components. As stated-- buy what you want.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If your Just doing it to repalce a weak old motor and want something cool. Its going to cost you the same as if you were to go buy a LB7.

When it goes in show car, drag car, non daily. and you have the extra money...... Go for it

·
Registered
502 Posts
plus why do you need that much power on that weak of a chassis?

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
yea if you want a diesel in that body get a 4bt but if you want a duramax buy a duramax

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
JohnO on the forum completed this swap in a older Silverado.

·
Registered
770 Posts
96 gmc an yes it isnt that bad i jus did everything different than the fellas i was gettin help from. pm me your email an ill get ya set up with sum pics an problems an stuff i ran into

·
Registered
278 Posts
What are you going to be using it for?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
96 gmc an yes it isnt that bad i jus did everything different than the fellas i was gettin help from.
good for you john, 88-98 trucks are the best looking trucks on the road imo. just curious, why different than the advice you were getting? bad advice, different circumstances or other?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm planning on pulling a goose neck trailer. I will be hauling a 1972 Monte Carlo with a 454 in it. That's the reason why I was thinking about putting a Duramax in my 1997 pickup.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
If you really want to do it-- buy a "Total", and install everything from that, to your truck. Engine, harness, computers, trans, rear axle.

In the old days, you could just fit it in, and hook up a few wires and hoses, and it would run-- not easy anymore.

·
Registered
770 Posts
To the op- What year engine/trans are you plannin to use with the swap?I used an lb7 so you could pretty much copy mine but if lly+ some things might not work but most should

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I like the idea of finding a totaled truck, you will find from talking to John O though that you run into other BCM related issues. With some persistence you can overcome these though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts