Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Purchased A Used 2005 Chevy Duramax With 27,000 On It .is It Worth The Money To Put A Chip, Bigger Air Box And A 4 Inch Exhaust? I Am Looking For A Little More Power And Fuel Mileage.whats The Best Chip Air Box And Exhaust To Buy. I Recently Sold My 1997 Gmc Sierra Turtle Diesel And It Was Almost Impossible To Find Add On For Power. With 100,000 And 5 Injector Pump Failure It Was Time For The Upgrade ,need Some Advice!!!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
first off welcome to this site...on my 2 diesels i did a ppe programmer and a 4" exhaust on the one and the other a 5" and between the programmer and exhaust i gained 2 to 3 mpg as an average on both trucks..now for the CAI i would recommend a drop in filter from AFE or S&B verse a whole new air intake kit seeing that is all your engine needs untill you do a turbo upgrade plus you can save them $300 bucks and buy something else..the best for the buck is the Diablo sport tuner but the best of the best is the PPE tuners,if you need any prices on any of these things just contact one of the sponsors from this site..ya i think it is well worth the money when you buy the right products..

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What he said.

Only difference is I would do an Amsoil air filter replacement. Keep the stock intake, its pretty good for even 100hp increases. Also, an open element filter will drop your mileage if you do alot of in town driving or slow drivig in traffic.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
wow i didn't know amsoil made a drop in filter,i'll have to check that out..

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I think the amsoil filter has nanofiber technology. check out this link here Amsoil air filter. Amsoil has other filters too, but I think this is the one that Diesel Nut was referring to.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have yet to see any element compare to the surface area of the delco element.

With no test data to support a product that claims this or that, I must assume hype is the rule of the day, and often is with these aftermarkets. I would be the first in line to buy it, but not because it has a catchy name. The fiber technology has not changed the simple science behind filtration.

To reduce pressure drop, you must open up the pore size or add more surface area. The type of fiber is irrelevant, they are still just restrictive openings for air to flow through.

If there is a compelling (factual) argument that I am missing, I've yet to hear it. Science is hard to argue with.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Here is the Spicer Filter study Spicer filter study

At the time of the study the new Amsoil filter was not out. I did find a post on another forum by Spicer and he did test the amsoil Ea filter. He said that it did about the same as the stock filter and slightly better in some areas. He said that the AC delco filter is so good that it is hard to improve on. He did mention that the Amsoil Ea filter is made by donaldson. Of course, it is yet to be seen how well the "nano fibers" hold up. From the way that Spicer decribed the Amsoil filter...(and this is a quote) "An interesting observation, I recently bought a microscope. I just took a small piece of the Ea filter and an ACDelco and put them under 100X magnification using top-lighting. WOW! The EA nanofiber looks really cool! My crude observation gave the inpression that the Ea uses Less restrictive cellulose paper, but it is covered in a thin WEB of super thin "nanofiber". I could even see super tiny specs of dirt trapped in the webs. REALLY cool to see firsthand. The biggest question would be the durability of the nanofibers over time, but the visual difference between the OE and the cellulose/nanofiber blend is obvious."

On a side note, how many pleats are there supposed to be on a stock filter? I bought my last one from Napa and it has 72 Peaks on the bottom side (filtering side). I heard that the delco ones used to have 96. Just so you know, I am not trying to contridict your post, just giving more information for people to make their own decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts