Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm just really dumb and can't find it. But I'm going to pipe and program my truck...and I want to get a pyrometer...but what is normal EGT numbers? And what is considered high EGT numbers? And if your EGT's are high....what bad comes from it?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
the rule of thumb with EGTs pre-turbo (in exhaust manifold) is to not hold 1350 for a long time. I have seen EGTs above that, but it was just a short burst...like 10 seconds. If the temps stay too high for too long, you could melt your heads (they're aluminum). I have read on other forums that some guys peg a 2000 degree pyro in the 1/4 mile. If you see temps at or above 1350, you can either 1 back off, 2 push it harder so the turbo builds more boost, or 3 lock out overdrive and not lug the engine, which kinda has the same effect as #2 since it will bring up the RPMs. 3 would be best if you were pulling a long hill.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

·
Registered
262 Posts
i can get mine to 1500* just screwing around light to light but i wouldnt hold it there to long. fi you get the isspro guage witht hte color and if you hit red you know to back off

1 - 4 of 4 Posts