Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that the K/N intake filter is not good for a diesel because the engine sucks so much air in that it sucks all the oil out of the filter, is this true?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
In alot of cases yes, pulls the oil out and onto the MAF sensor causing codes to set. I think they are ok if you do not over oil them but with out enough oil they do not filter well! Lots of guys run oil filters with no issues but they have caused lots of problems for others. Its all in what you want i would say but you really cant find a intake setup that dosent use a oiled filter!

They really add little to no hp, I made 460 hp with stock intake with just a bunch of holes drilled in the bottom half of the air box!

Hope this helps,
Caleb

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so your saying that the stock intake is a great setup and you wont really benefit from a CAI? are you also saying that the paper filter element filters are not restrictive enough to worry about?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Correct, the aftermarket air filters are for the bling factor. They don't become important until you are adding bigger chargers or pushing over 500 hp. IMO. The stock air filter is very free flowing and traps more parts per million than any of the aftermarket filters out there.

·
3,162 Posts
Unless you just want to buy a CIA I would just drill a couple 1" holes in the font side of the lower air box, this will draw air from right behind the headlight. Also you can remove the sticky foil from the inner fender to let a little more cool air in to the factory air box inlet!

Im not knocking CIA's or saying dont run one, i would spent the money else where first then if you just want to add one for a little extra turbo noise and maybe a couple less degrees IAT then go a head and add one then!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
thanks man tat is what ill do. ill save the money for something else.

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
Would it be alright leaving the stock LBZ intake on? It's shaped a little different than the LLY in dad's 05. Just wondered before I spend unneeded money on something that is just for looks.

·
3,162 Posts
Would it be alright leaving the stock LBZ intake on? It's shaped a little different than the LLY in dad's 05. Just wondered before I spend unneeded money on something that is just for looks.

The LBZ intake is even better designed then the older ones, like said above most folks that run them just want to have one, there is nothing wrong with that its just there is no power gains from them!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i have the lbz and the intake does a great job even runnin an extra 225hp and that should put her in the neighberhood of 400+rwhp,unless you do a turbo upgrade i would run the stock intake

·
Registered
17 Posts
The filter used in an aem brute force and workhorseis a dry element . No Oil! It also filters down to 1 micron like paper, and finally a cai alone makes alittle power but as you add exaust and programmer and other mods down stream it increases overall efficency.

rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts