Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2008 car hauler trailer with tandem Dexter 3500lb axles and it only has like 2000 miles on it. it has bearing buddies and the grease has no white in it telling me there isn't any water. But when i grab the wheels top and bottom i can move the wheels a little so there is some play... all wheels are the same and while towing my Jeep to Moab I checked the bearings every hundred miles or so and i could hold my hand on the hub for however long i wanted and I don't hear any noise or grinding coming from them....
DO you think the play is normal.. Or should I change out the bearings..

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Are the tires wearing with a chop pattern if not you are fine the play is from them backing the wheel bearing nut off to unload The bearings. Preload would cause them to fail to loose ( tire chop is a sign of to loose) will cause bearing wear. Dont pump bearing buddy full of grease only 3/4 of the way or the seals will leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the tires wearing with a chop pattern if not you are fine the play is from them backing the wheel bearing nut off to unload The bearings. Preload would cause them to fail to loose ( tire chop is a sign of to loose) will cause bearing wear. Dont pump bearing buddy full of grease only 3/4 of the way or the seals will leak.

Nope tires are wearing perfect! I was wondering that about unloading them. thanks man!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
No problem i have packed at least a1000 Bearing

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The bearing needs a tiny bit of play. so they don't overheat from pressure. Also it allows the lube to flow into the bearing. Sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The bearing needs a tiny bit of play. so they don't overheat from pressure. Also it allows the lube to flow into the bearing. Sounds normal to me.
+1 - used to work at boat dealership. This is normal for a trailer bearing. Still one of my least-favorite chores as a trailer owner... My next boat trailer will have oil-bath hubs.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Oil bath and water dont mix grease and bearing buddies help keep water out

Vent hole in oil bath hub oiler will let water in

·
Registered
770 Posts

It's become pretty common for boat trailer manufacturers to use oil bath hubs. EZ Loader and King are a couple that come to mind. I believe these versions do not have a vent hole. Kodiak sells an oil bath hub and disc brake conversion kit for boat trailers. When it comes time to rehab my trailer brakes and hubs, their kit is going on my axles.... unless I upgrade the boat instead. - "Hey Honey, my trailer needs a $1,000 brake job, I'm going to trade-in the boat for something bigger, ok?" LOL

·
Registered
418 Posts

One of the boats I tow has oil bath hubs and they are great. A quick look through the window and you can see the oil level and if the oil is clear you know you have no water.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
No vent hole how do they keep seals in them short hauls

1 - 12 of 12 Posts