Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was under my truck today and noticed above the skid plate there was an oil leak or seemed like one above the plate...ive never changed the oil on this truck seeing that i have free oil changes from the dealer....was this where they changed my oil a few weeks ago?it was around the bolt and on the skid plate...

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
If it is wet around the bolt then yes, if there isnt oil around the bolt then you have an oil leak somewhere else

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right i just had some oil around where the bolt is and on the top and bottom of the skid plate there was some oil....not too sure if the oil is fresh or not just wiped it down and gonna check later but i checked oil level and is fine..so is it where they changed it at the stealership?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
If it is coming from the bolt then you should replace the copper washer next oil change because they flatten out and let oil out from the pan, buy a handful and replace every oil change

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha figures...

·
Registered
712 Posts
You do not need to remove the skid plate. You can divert the oil with some shim stock or, put on a Fumoto valve, which if you look around, often comes with a drain tube.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i just changed my oil yesterday and didn't change the copper washer. Big mistake. My oil now slowly drips out. My truck has never leaked oil until now. I'll buy a handful from the dealer. How much are they? Can I buy them at Kragens, for example?
Gary

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have reused them for years. I have found that if you keep them clean, they re-seal just fine. However, if I over-tighten the drain plug once or twice, then they will start to look smashed too much to be comfortable with. Then, I change them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a question, will it hurt to run the truck with the leaky washer until the next oil change? I am worried that water could get in if it rained. I am probably overly anal but I figured I would ask. I will monitor the oil level, just concerned with the leak and water possibly creeping into the oil pan?

Thanks alot

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm running with it until the next oil change. I wouldn't worry about water getting into the oiling system from the leaky washer. The water would have to be injected into the leaky washer with such force that it would have to over come the weight of the oil and the positive pressure in the crank case (when truck is running) and gravity. The only way I can see that happening is if you took a high pressure washer spray at 1500psi (for example) and force the water up there by aiming the sprayer at the oil bolt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts