1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
Well, once you stop the clutches from slipping, the TC starts letting go. Most people will agree, just save your money for the tranny upgrade. The shift kit may buy you some time, but the tranny build like Mike L does is your best bet. Although, I have no first-hand experience in this, but it is what I have learned from reading the other forums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thanks for your input. Thats what im trying to find out.
Jeff:peelout

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
Idahorob has been putting about 500 rear wheel (twin turbo) horse power through a ally with just a trans go kit and an up graded converter with great sucsess and he uses his truck rather hard!!!!!!

Later
Caleb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About how much is an upgraded tc,and where can i get one?
Anybody???????:poke

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
For a good triple lock your are looking at anywhere from 600-1000 or more. Check this link out....there are more out there, but this one is 1388.00 plus core charge of 300. http://www.atsdiesel.com/atswebsite/ProductsGM/5Star.asp

Mike L might be able to hook you up with a decent one that won't break the bank though.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Transgo shift kit and a good triple converter will hold 500 hp but not as a steady diet. If you're going to flog your truck on a regular basis you need better clutches, more pressure and other mods. Your right foot will dictate what your Ally will hold. Name brand triple converters go for 1100.00 and higher. I do not suggest buying a converter from a johnny come lately because they are starting where we left off 3 or 4 years ago with their tech. Allison rated fluid is a big plus for longevity and keeping temps down.
mike

·
Registered
352 Posts
Im having great luck with my suncoast, the main things you upgrade on a trany is the valve body (VB) and the torque converter (TC) the valve body is the brain and tells everything what to do and when, then the tc is basically you clutch, the clutchs in side the tranny are for when you shift whic makes it so you can shift on the fly, hense a auto tranny,

Ive heard that the ally can take 500 hp stock

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hmm ok, Id love to stick a ally behind my cummins but there just to expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts