Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today we got the truck on the lift and installed the turbo outlet pipe... What a nightmare that was. Probably took about 5 hours to get that thing off lol. Then we did the 4" MBRP turbo back setup. I opted for a muffler, which probably i didnt need, but ill leave it now. She sounds good, not much in cabin noise at all, and from behind the truck u hear the turbo spooling up nice. I also put in the 2" plug on the resonator to make the turbo sound louder as well, which seemed to do its job. Hard to tell if its the exhaust or the plug that i hear while driving but either way it couldnt hurt. I also put in HID's in the low beams and fog lights and it just makes a tremendous difference lighting up the road.

Efi live i put in a DSP5 with Stock, Tow, Economy, +80 and +110. I just drove it around on +80 and the truck feels insane. Sooo much more responsive, takes off, and barely smokes at all.

My question is this. Does anyone notice their truck hitting like a rev limiter when beating on their trucks after modding them? Felt like it took a while before it decided to shift when i was beating on her.

Mark

·
Registered
130 Posts
did you let the trans relearn before beating on it?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Ya stock rev limiter is 95 you can change that in two seconds with EFI live. But Youll have to reload all of your tunes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It probably defueled. That would be my guess but I am no expert. I am sure someone else will chime in. Looks like i got beat to the punch I got distracted by pawn stars haha

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didnt log anything.. i let the truck warm up for like 20 minutes till temps came up and made sure no check engines or anything popped up from the DPF being removed. Then i drove it around for like 10 minutes without really getting on it, but noticed the increase in throttle response and spool.

Then after i grabbed a slice of pizza i got back on the road and nailed it threw 2 gears quick and it just felt like it was delayed big time to shift. Like acceled super hard to like 3500 ish area, and sorta floated there for a good 2 seconds, then kicked into gear and took off again. Didnt feel like anything was slipping or bad, just like the tranny didnt shift quick enough..

Do i have to initiate a relearn?

Mark

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how can i do that?? threw the efilive?

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
I don't know much about anything, but here's my .02.

Could you re-install your stock tune, drive the truck (might be some CEL's without the DPF) for a day, and then re-install your DsP5 tunes, and drive it real conservatively so the trans will re-learn?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I also put in HID's in the low beams and fog lights and it just makes a tremendous difference lighting up the road.
Mark
So, do you have pics of the lows and fogs? Specifically where did you mount the ballasts?

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
It's probably the trans shifting funny due to re-learn. It learns the new power and trains itself to shift accordingly. Best way to relearn it is to do some driving through all the gears at different throttle positions. Like go from first to 6th gear at 25% throttle a couple times, 50% throttle a couple times, 75% throttle a couple times, and 100% throttle a couple times. That will smooth it out quite a bit, after that, just drive it how you plan to drive it every day, and it'll keep getting better and better.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
it will shift weird till the trans learns....also a partially dirty or clogged fuel filter will cause those symptoms as well

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok good to know.. thanks for all the information.

As far as the HID's go. I just found locations when i did it. The fog lights i put the passenger side up above on a panel behind where the fender liner goes so it was as protected from water as possible, and the drivers side i mounted it up along the black metal rail. I just used like 4 zip ties on each one of the fog light ballasts. And it was very secure, i wasnt able to move it at all.

The Headlights i used 1 bolt threw the bracket and threw the metal of the car, then used some zip ties to secure it again.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Its not a rev limiter. You are running it out of fuel. You need to shim the FPRV and look into getting a lift pump.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ive been doing side road driving all day long. probably put 40 - 50 miles on it.. doing like 0-70% throttle. Did a couple 100% pulls ill play around more tomorrow, but it feels like its getting better and better.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If it doesn't get better look into changing your fuel filter if its been awhile, running out of fuel has VERY similar characteristics as a rev limiter. Good excuse for a liftpump! lol

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
lol yep that sure is a good reason to look into getting a lift pump. if you have any questions or are interested let me know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.