Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a few more oil changes in the garage using the AC Delco DexosD and upgraded AC Delco filter, but I really want to give Amsoil a try. I am a subscription member with Amsoil (for my wife's Tahoe). What are yall's oil change intervals using the Amsoil, are they longer than the 5-7.5K range? Are you following the oil life indicator numbers?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been using amsoil for years, I replace it yearly. I use it in all my vehicles, whole house generator, tractor, side by side, basically everything with an engine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been using amsoil for years, I replace it yearly. I use it in all my vehicles, whole house generator, tractor, side by side, basically everything with an engine
Thank you, but I meant specifically in the LM2. I do love Amsoil and use it in other vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Best way to find out is to run it and send a sample off for testing. I just had ac delco tested and Blackstone said to go 7k miles. I’ve ordered amsoil and will switch to it next time. I plan on sending a sample in at 6k to find out my interval.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You should easily get 10k at the least but honestly for the money the Shell T6 is a great bang for the buck. Cheap enough where I just change it by the DIC even though I could run it longer. D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Amsoil is severely over hyped. It is no better or no worse than other leading synthetics. You just pay more. Period.

2007 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ

·
Registered
68 Posts
You should easily get 10k at the least but honestly for the money the Shell T6 is a great bang for the buck. Cheap enough where I just change it by the DIC even though I could run it longer. D
Except you can't use it in a LM2....

·
Registered
68 Posts
DexosD 0W-20 very specific Diesel oil…

·
Registered
677 Posts
DexosD 0W-20 very specific Diesel oil…
Man, I hate that 0w-20 crap! I have to put it in my Subarus and I swear it is like pouring water in the engine case! It's all about fuel economy. I would love to see the engine machining tolerances and build specs to see if there are any differences from the 6.6 engine. Only good thing about the thinner oil is it does a great job on the turbo bearings cool. Dean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to use Amsoil, but would like to stretch the oil change interval out some. I love my engine and want it to last as long as possible. The $55 oil change with AC Delco filter and oil is nice, but want more protection

·
Registered
42 Posts
With the preferred pricing, amsoil is $8.50 per qt. So for $21ish more, you can give it a try. I have been using delco oil and filter and the sample I sent to Blackstone came back looking great. I have delco in the truck right now but I have amsoil waiting for the next oil change. I’ll send a sample off at 6k miles and see what they say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I want to use Amsoil, but would like to stretch the oil change interval out some. I love my engine and want it to last as long as possible. The $55 oil change with AC Delco filter and oil is nice, but want more protection

I have the LM2 in my 2021 Yukon XL and I switched over to Amsoil immediately. If you are switching over to Amsoil I recommend picking up a bottle of their engine flush, it is safe for diesel engines as well and will help thoroughly flush out the ACDelco DexosD stuff. Pour a 16oz bottle in before you perform your oil change and let your engine idle for 15 minutes. I am not going to crap on the ACDelco stuff, but if you want more protection from your oil. Amsoil offers 6X more wear protection (based on third-party testing in the OM646LA cam wear test using 0W-20 as worst-case representation). This oil is 100% synthetic were the DexosD is a full synthetic meaning only a small percentage has to be synthetic base stock. "Full synthetic" is just a marketing term. Also price wise Amsoil isn't that more expensive then the ACDelco, I will gladly pay a little more money for what I think is a better quality oil.

Oil - https://www.amsoil.com/p/synthetic-diesel-oil-sae-0w-20-dp0/
Engine Flush - https://www.amsoil.com/p/engine-and-transmission-flush-flsh/#pills-home_0

Fuel additives I use since there is no Top-Teir diesel in my area and mostly all the 15ppm ultra low sulfate around here only has a 40 cetane rating.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/diesel-injector-clean-cetane-boost-ads/ (Spring, Summer, Fall)
https://www.amsoil.com/p/diesel-all-in-one-adb/ (Winter)

·
Registered
204 Posts

If you pay the $16 a year fee you get a 25% discount, worth it if you have more then 1 vehicle. For the LM2 7qts is $59.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey guys,
I have a few more oil changes in the garage using the AC Delco DexosD and upgraded AC Delco filter, but I really want to give Amsoil a try. I am a subscription member with Amsoil (for my wife's Tahoe). What are yall's oil change intervals using the Amsoil, are they longer than the 5-7.5K range? Are you following the oil life indicator numbers?

Thanks for any input
I use Amsoil FROM day 1 The specs meet GM's Dexos D Requirements...0W-20 (DP020): GM dexosD

6 Quarts Synthetic Diesel Oil SAE 0W-20/1 Quart of 5/30 Amsoil Synthetic Diesel

• Outstanding protection for smaller American diesel pickups, vans, cars and SUVs
• Delivers up to 6X mo
re wear protection than required by a leading industry standard
Retains viscosity for added engine protection and increased fuel economy
• Excels in hot and cold temperature extremes
• Minimizes oil consumption

I purchase the AC Delco Filter/keep receipt for warranty purposes.

.I also run the Amsoil Diesel All-In-One

• One ounce treats up to 2.5 gallons of fuel
• Combines the benefits of AMSOIL Diesel Injector Clean, Diesel Cold Flow and Diesel Cetane Boost in one convenient package
• Delivers outstanding detergency, improved lubricity, better cold flow and higher cetane
• Provides excellent all-season protection and performance
• Provides significant lubricity improvement in diesel fuels found across the U.S., delivering improved wear protection.1
• Provides as much as 32˚F (18°C) better protection against cold temperature gelling than Howes* Lubricator Diesel Treat2

I purchase 64 Ounce Container/

Change Oil Filter 4/5000 Miles Myself.. In the end the costs are a nonissue..

Also I add 1 Quart of 5/30 Amsoil Synthetic Diesel to 6 Quarts 0-20..I think the 0-20 is an issue.

.My engine runs quieter/my transmission shifts smoother/less strain

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use Amsoil FROM day 1 The specs meet GM's Dexos D Requirements...0W-20 (DP020): GM dexosD

6 Quarts Synthetic Diesel Oil SAE 0W-20/1 Quart of 5/30 Amsoil Synthetic Diesel

• Outstanding protection for smaller American diesel pickups, vans, cars and SUVs
• Delivers up to 6X mo
re wear protection than required by a leading industry standard
Retains viscosity for added engine protection and increased fuel economy
• Excels in hot and cold temperature extremes
• Minimizes oil consumption

I purchase the AC Delco Filter/keep receipt for warranty purposes.

.I also run the Amsoil Diesel All-In-One

• One ounce treats up to 2.5 gallons of fuel
• Combines the benefits of AMSOIL Diesel Injector Clean, Diesel Cold Flow and Diesel Cetane Boost in one convenient package
• Delivers outstanding detergency, improved lubricity, better cold flow and higher cetane
• Provides excellent all-season protection and performance
• Provides significant lubricity improvement in diesel fuels found across the U.S., delivering improved wear protection.1
• Provides as much as 32˚F (18°C) better protection against cold temperature gelling than Howes* Lubricator Diesel Treat2

I purchase 64 Ounce Container/

Change Oil Filter 4/5000 Miles Myself.. In the end the costs are a nonissue..

Also I add 1 Quart of 5/30 Amsoil Synthetic Diesel to 6 Quarts 0-20..I think the 0-20 is an issue.

.My engine runs quieter/my transmission shifts smoother/less strain
Thank you! But I do have one question, how do you change the filter and not lose a ton of oil? (Real question because I have no idea how folks do this- and I’ve been changing my own oil for 30 years) I love learning new stuff! You guys are great

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you asking about changing the filter without doing an oil change? If so, change the filter on a cold engine, it will probably be halfway full and shouldn’t drip a drop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you asking about changing the filter without doing an oil change? If so, change the filter on a cold engine, it will probably be halfway full and shouldn’t drip a drop.
Huh- this is one of those- “aw damn, that’s how that is done” moments for me. Can’t believe I never thought of that

·
Registered
68 Posts
It also helps to prefill the filter with oil before installing. Shouldn't have to add much or any if this is done....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts