Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use Amsoil FROM day 1 The specs meet GM's Dexos D Requirements...0W-20 (DP020): GM dexosD

6 Quarts Synthetic Diesel Oil SAE 0W-20/1 Quart of 5/30 Amsoil Synthetic Diesel

• Outstanding protection for smaller American diesel pickups, vans, cars and SUVs
• Delivers up to 6X mo
re wear protection than required by a leading industry standard
Retains viscosity for added engine protection and increased fuel economy
• Excels in hot and cold temperature extremes
• Minimizes oil consumption

I purchase the AC Delco Filter/keep receipt for warranty purposes.

.I also run the Amsoil Diesel All-In-One

• One ounce treats up to 2.5 gallons of fuel
• Combines the benefits of AMSOIL Diesel Injector Clean, Diesel Cold Flow and Diesel Cetane Boost in one convenient package
• Delivers outstanding detergency, improved lubricity, better cold flow and higher cetane
• Provides excellent all-season protection and performance
• Provides significant lubricity improvement in diesel fuels found across the U.S., delivering improved wear protection.1
• Provides as much as 32˚F (18°C) better protection against cold temperature gelling than Howes* Lubricator Diesel Treat2

I purchase 64 Ounce Container/

Change Oil Filter 4/5000 Miles Myself.. In the end the costs are a nonissue..

Also I add 1 Quart of 5/30 Amsoil Synthetic Diesel to 6 Quarts 0-20..I think the 0-20 is an issue.

.My engine runs quieter/my transmission shifts smoother/less strain
Philisophe I found your thread interesting, just curious if you could elaborate more on why you mix the 1 quart 5-30 with the 6 quart 0-20. Do you think the viscosity for 0-20 is just too thin for a diesel? Not sure why GM designed this motor to run on that, but would love to hear your take. I think a lot of the LM2 issues have to do with the quality of diesel fuel, the manual recommend top-teir diesel, but I can't find the logo for diesel anywhere, just gas. I guess diesel engines operate more efficiently with a cetane rating of 48 to 50, I talked with Shell thinking their ultra low sulfate would be better than most and theirs is only a 40 cetane rating. I run the Amsoil diesel fuel additives as well to help boost those ratings.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you! But I do have one question, how do you change the filter and not lose a ton of oil? (Real question because I have no idea how folks do this- and I’ve been changing my own oil for 30 years) I love learning new stuff! You guys are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Installed This Valve..Attach correct diameter hose to valve open "stopcock" drain to wherever...Rotate Filter ..cold 1/2 full no issues..wear plastic gloves..the diesel oil drained can be nasty..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Philisophe I found your thread interesting, just curious if you could elaborate more on why you mix the 1 quart 5-30 with the 6 quart 0-20. Do you think the viscosity for 0-20 is just too thin for a diesel? Not sure why GM designed this motor to run on that, but would love to hear your take. I think a lot of the LM2 issues have to do with the quality of diesel fuel, the manual recommend top-teir diesel, but I can't find the logo for diesel anywhere, just gas. I guess diesel engines operate more efficiently with a cetane rating of 48 to 50, I talked with Shell thinking their ultra low sulfate would be better than most and theirs is only a 40 cetane rating. I run the Amsoil diesel fuel additives as well to help boost those ratings.

Without question.............

As for the fuels..I only use Shell/BP Period..I do not trust the fuel sourced from Billy Bob's refinery.

GM elected to run 0-20 ............... Either due to Tolerances/EPA/Fuel Economy...however there are horror stories of oil leaks posted on the almost all Diesel Engines the 3.0 is no exception..

A lot of people that own this truck elect to take it to the Dealer..or listen to the sales pitch at one of the drive through oil change locations..and then wonder why the Bulk Oil that the dealer has purchased just does not cut it..or how great the Non OEM filter is at Bubbas Live & Lube..

Having tested oil for the Air Force..worked countless hours on all engines i believe the Poor Viscosity/no limited viscosity after a certain number of operational hours can/does contribute to problems in almost all diesel engines..Ford/Chevy/Ram. Many of these engines are offshoots of European/Japanese blocks modified to US Specs..

I have spoken to a number of Chevy GM techs ..They install the "bulk" oil that they pull down from the large storage tanks..most didnt know who provided the oil..but was sure it met the 0-20 specs
(they are not sure about the Dexos D though)

Most new diesel owners do not realize the heavy particulate matter these engines generate..especially the daily drivers..Also no diesel engine does well on long drain intervals..The marketing hype
of 10,000 Miles may work for gasoline ..but I do not trust it for any diesels..

And I quote
"Oil Change Intervals for Diesel Engines
Most diesel engines should have their oil changed about every 3,000 miles if you're using standard oil and every 5,000 to 6,000 miles if you're using full synthetic oil "

I elect to use Amsoil Dexos D 6 Quarts 0-20 then 1 quart of the Signature Series .............Period..I use the OEM filter and change it myself @ 3000/4000 Miles..

Why..Primarily for the Viscosity....Film Strength..

These engines were designed By GM to run hot ( great video with GM Engineer..google it)

Also They are lightweight aluminum block and cylinder head with Iron Liners.

In very hot cold settings I question the thermal/viscosity/film strength of some of the Oils

That being said..I notice a consistant temperature ..nice oil pressure.. the transmission shifts smoother and the torque seems to be there..Also with the Amsoil Cetane Ii no longer have
the " Ratty" engine sound..These combinations make My truck smooth .................

And each to his own

__

Article /Japan/GM

Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-30
Product code : DHDQT-EA

• Outstanding extreme-pressure protection
• Delivers 6X more wear protection1
• Maintains proper viscosity (thickness)
• Minimizes oil consumption
• Maximizes fuel efficiency
• Excels in extreme temperatures

·
Registered
99 Posts
With the PF66 shortage, you don’t need to run a ACDelco. At least for the foreseeable future. Use one of the GM approved aftermarket filters.

·
Registered
2021 GMC 1500 3.0 Duramax AT4-Carbon Pro
8 Posts
I just finished my first Amsoil oil change. I ran the oil for 7k miles. Just to be good to the motor, oil is cheap. I noticed a increase in MPG slightly(I have the AT4 edition and it is reading something like 25.6 on the 400 mile mileage reading the EPA says it’s only capable of 24), the truck didn’t seem to have any hiccups or issues running it. Amsoil has the technical spec’s on it, I read it and if what they say is true, it should be a superior oil. I plan on sending a oil sample to an oil analysis company for testing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the PF66 shortage, you don’t need to run a ACDelco. At least for the foreseeable future. Use one of the GM approved aftermarket filters.
I know none of the local stores carry the pf66 but at Amazon, eBay, and other online places they aren’t too hard to find. I just ordered 4 off Amazon.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts