Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the family on a two week vacation through the mountains pulling our 28' fifth wheel. Started in Iowa, into Minnesota and took 90 across South Dakota and Wyoming into the East entrance of Yellowstone. From there we headed south through Utah and spent a couple days at the Grand Canyon, hit four corners on the way back into Colorado. Went over Wolf Creek pass and into Colorado Springs before heading home.

The camper weighs in at about 10,000# and is more trouble with wind resistance while towing. I swear I have pushed a 12-18 mph head wind every where I go this trip!

The truck is a 2008 LMM CCSB that has been deleted with a 4" down pipe back and tuned with EFI Live. Tune that I am running is the lowest tune that has the turbo brake engaged. I believe 50 hp over stock. I have an edge CS mounted on the dash with a pyro in the passenger manifold. PVC re-route has also been done with the breather hose sitting right behind the passenger wheel well liner. Running the Amsoil 15-40 HD diesel oil (the stuff that cannot be used with DPF installed).

Ok, there's the back ground, now the questions.......

I have found that when driving through passes that if I keep the RPMs above 2,000-2,200 that the truck is almost unstoppable. I watch the EGTs and have the CS alarm at 1,300 just to remind me not to push to hard and to shift down or lift of the pedal. Engine temps will rise to around 215-230 and will promptly lower as the fan engages. Transmission temps stay cool until the engine gets warm then they begin to rise as well. I assume this is because the transmission oil flows through the first cooler in the radiator.

On decends I love the turbo brake! Just a tap down on the shifter and the truck pulls everything down and very rarely do I need to use any brake. Short burst only when necessary.

So, questions are--

Are the temps above normal and ok to push?

And ( this is my big question), this truck has never used oil before, but during this trip it has used almost a quart. I know this is not much for the 3,600+ miles that I have ran, but it has never used any before. My thinking is that the turbo brake and decends has pushed some oil out the PVC reroute. It is a little more damp around that hose, but not 1 quart of oil soaking wet.

Please all chime in and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks all in advance!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Towing in AZ in 100deg weather. 8k lbs... Everything you describe is normal. Lots of posts on increased oil consumption when towing. Some do some don't. Mine doesn't seem to burn much if any. (1 notch on the dip stick at 3k on this oil. Half of that towing) GM States 1qt per 100 gallons of fuel used when towing. Bulletin 02-06-01-027A. That is extreme imo, but non the less....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
26,481 Posts
Yep, all sounds normal...you're at the right RPM range (doesn't she just scream to be let go!?) for the most efficient hill pulling and keeping your EGTs within reason. humpin:

Pulling hard, 1 quart at 3500-5000 miles is okay. Even moderate daily towing can drop a quart at 5-6k miles.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I pull a 35' Toyhauler-- Loaded she weighs 14.5k--- I see the same temps you are describing----- Love my Tow tunes !!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. I didn't think that it was going to be anything major, just wanted to see if this was to norm. I really figured that it was going to have something to do with the turbo brake and putting that much crank case pressure on decel, but like I said before there was not that much oil out of the PVC hose.

Will be making the final push home leaving tomorrow and I will be back to the flat lands, so I'm sure that it will be a lot easier going. That and from what it looks like right now I'm going to have a nice tail wind!

That's the best we can ask for when towing, Blue skies and tail winds!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume that bulletin would still be accurate for the LMM still. It sure seems to be accurate.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Pulled 16,000 lbs with our 2004 CCSB LLY for 2+ years never did use any oil. But temps would climb like yours when 100+ outside.
We have plans on going into Yellowstone on the East next June. Looking forward to seeing how the 2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 does out there.
Pete

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All home and sitting level. Looks like it used just a quart in the 4,500 miles traveled. Just over 350 gallons of fuel pumped. Based on the GM bulletin I'm doing real good.

I really wouldn't call it racing up a hill. These were the roads that we took and it was breath taking for my family. The trucks are built to do this, especially with the light load I was pulling considering what they are capable of.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pulling my 5er up the pass, I see about the same temps, Engine and transmission as you. Fan kicks on and temp backs down to around 200. Fan sounds like a jet overhead.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Try a 38 fter RV tri-axle fully loaded weighing in at 19,400 through the rockies.Mines a 01 3500 D/A .Bene pullin mine since new in 2000.I have never had a problem yet today with my rig.only get 6-8 m.p.g. pullin with no problem.I run 75 on the big roads when im pullin.This truck has yet to use one quart of oil since Ive owned it.Itll just kick in & go.Strickly stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.