Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this 1500 platform with the LM2 handle a TT with a weight of 7700lbs? I do not tow it often enough to justify my 3/4 ton truck that gets 13mpg daily driving. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
134 Posts
Yes you're good. It has a 9500 pound tow capacity.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Tow rating depends on the truck configuration that has the LM2.

They range all the way down to 8500.

Reactions: lilbxl

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am sure you already know this but I will point it out anyway. Your Trailer tongue weight and your payload capacity are probably not adequate. My 6000 lb max loaded trailer has a tongue weight just shy of 1000 lb. You probably will find that your 7000 trailer with a 12% tongue weight will put you at 840 lbs. Dependent on your truck configuration you will probably find that the allowable total payload will only be around 1600 lb. With passengers ad gear you will be pushing the limit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ALWAYS have more than you need. If you have to even question it, move up to the next series. That's why I keep my 17 year old RAM 2500 Cummins around. Doesn't get 1K a year put on it, but those miles are dang important with a 6K TriToon...

Reactions: Enigma66

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sure you already know this but I will point it out anyway. Your Trailer tongue weight and your payload capacity are probably not adequate. My 6000 lb max loaded trailer has a tongue weight just shy of 1000 lb. You probably will find that your 7000 trailer with a 12% tongue weight will put you at 840 lbs. Dependent on your truck configuration you will probably find that the allowable total payload will only be around 1600 lb. With passengers ad gear you will be pushing the limit.
Yes, I have considered the low payload. My hitch weight is around 900lbs. We load almost nothing in the bed of the truck, usually just bicycles. Also, I am usually alone in my truck when towing the camper or have just one of my young children with me. I can make the payload number work with some to spare. I am just getting tired of getting 13mpg in my truck and filling up 2 to 3 times a week. I love my truck but the mileage is just getting to me. I just do not tow enough for me to not to look into this option. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 2021 1500 crew duramax and I tow a lot. I have a 20' enclosed race trailer for by rock crawler that is probably 7500lbs loaded. Maybe more if we are camping for a long weekend. I also pull my 25' gooseneck deckover regularly. I bought it to haul 2 Jeeps at once but haven't had a chance to. I have hauled a few thousand pounds of plywood and hay bales. Yes I put a gooseneck hitch in my half-ton. I also put a 40 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed so I don't have to stop. The fuel tank was by far my best investment. I can go 900 to 1000 miles before I even start using my main fuel tank. Anyone that pulls with a diesel knows that the diesel pumps will be the only ones occupied (by gassers of course) when you are needing fuel.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Leg Window Rectangle Line Art

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will say one of my gripes is the low payload just like Grampy2020 touched on. Mine is like 1539lbs. With my gooseneck and one Jeep I'm around 9k lbs. Fifteen percent tongue weight and my 230lb butt put me over the payload capacity. I have air bags for the gooseneck and run a weight distribution hitch with sway control for the enclosed bumper pull. I know you'll be fine pulling your camper but definitely get a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Not the one with the chains. Do the bars with the "L" brackets. I pull on the interstate with all the confidence in the world. Really locks the truck and trailer together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will say one of my gripes is the low payload just like Grampy2020 touched on. Mine is like 1539lbs. With my gooseneck and one Jeep I'm around 9k lbs. Fifteen percent tongue weight and my 230lb butt put me over the payload capacity. I have air bags for the gooseneck and run a weight distribution hitch with sway control for the enclosed bumper pull. I know you'll be fine pulling your camper but definitely get a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Not the one with the chains. Do the bars with the "L" brackets. I pull on the interstate with all the confidence in the world. Really locks the truck and trailer together.
I have a weight distribution hitch made by Husky, works well. That camera looks like it would be a great tool while towing.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have the 2021 1500 crew duramax and I tow a lot. I have a 20' enclosed race trailer for by rock crawler that is probably 7500lbs loaded. Maybe more if we are camping for a long weekend. I also pull my 25' gooseneck deckover regularly. I bought it to haul 2 Jeeps at once but haven't had a chance to. I have hauled a few thousand pounds of plywood and hay bales. Yes I put a gooseneck hitch in my half-ton. I also put a 40 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed so I don't have to stop. The fuel tank was by far my best investment. I can go 900 to 1000 miles before I even start using my main fuel tank. Anyone that pulls with a diesel knows that the diesel pumps will be the only ones occupied (by gassers of course) when you are needing fuel. View attachment 1092371 View attachment 1092372
Wow, man that is a lot for a 1500 truck. Not that the engine or frame can't support it but I would be a bit worried about the rear tires and the load rating they are, the weight of the trailer alone will be over 4000 lbs. Dean

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Yes, I have considered the low payload. My hitch weight is around 900lbs. We load almost nothing in the bed of the truck, usually just bicycles. Also, I am usually alone in my truck when towing the camper or have just one of my young children with me. I can make the payload number work with some to spare. I am just getting tired of getting 13mpg in my truck and filling up 2 to 3 times a week. I love my truck but the mileage is just getting to me. I just do not tow enough for me to not to look into this option. LOL
So it's a 2500 GM with the 6.0?

·
Registered
68 Posts
'20 Ram 2500 with the 6.4. Absolutely great truck, I just do not tow enough to justify the fuel mileage.
An absolutely great vehicle. but the worst for mileage. Trade it for an equal Diesel, even if you have to go down a year or two. You will then be where you want/need to be...

Reactions: cwobosn4

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the 2021 1500 crew duramax and I tow a lot. I have a 20' enclosed race trailer for by rock crawler that is probably 7500lbs loaded. Maybe more if we are camping for a long weekend. I also pull my 25' gooseneck deckover regularly. I bought it to haul 2 Jeeps at once but haven't had a chance to. I have hauled a few thousand pounds of plywood and hay bales. Yes I put a gooseneck hitch in my half-ton. I also put a 40 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed so I don't have to stop. The fuel tank was by far my best investment. I can go 900 to 1000 miles before I even start using my main fuel tank. Anyone that pulls with a diesel knows that the diesel pumps will be the only ones occupied (by gassers of course) when you are needing fuel. View attachment 1092371 View attachment 1092372
Buy a 3/4 ton truck dude! Lawyers fantasize about opportunities like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
do the research on how long your cost savings on fuel will take to justify/help pay for a new vehicle. 99% of people fail to do this.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts