Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Would this 1500 platform with the LM2 handle a TT with a weight of 7700lbs? I do not tow it often enough to justify my 3/4 ton truck that gets 13mpg daily driving. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
A lot will depend on which tires you have, approx 15% if weight is tongue load so you add about 1200 lbs to the rear tires. I always get the lt version tires as they can handle the extra load far and above the normal radials.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've towed over 12k with the 3.0, I've had several duramax and even 6.5 diesels. This little 3.0 is amazing and you will be fine

·
Registered
2017 3500HD 6.6L LTZ
13 Posts
I am sure you already know this but I will point it out anyway. Your Trailer tongue weight and your payload capacity are probably not adequate. My 6000 lb max loaded trailer has a tongue weight just shy of 1000 lb. You probably will find that your 7000 trailer with a 12% tongue weight will put you at 840 lbs. Dependent on your truck configuration you will probably find that the allowable total payload will only be around 1600 lb. With passengers ad gear you will be pushing the limit.
That is why I went with a 3500

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you wait until model year 2022 they are increasing the tow rating to over 13,000 lbs

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
True ,but but I read an article saying they changed nothing..it basically read gm missed the mark with the early rating. I have 2020 gmc lm2 tows 10k no issues I think they are all good for 13k

·
Registered
684 Posts
True ,but but I read an article saying they changed nothing..it basically read gm missed the mark with the early rating. I have 2020 gmc lm2 tows 10k no issues I think they are all good for 13k
Well all I can say is I hope you guys run some damn good and strong trailer brakes. I can’t imagine putting that much energy into 1500 brakes on a regular basis. D

·
Registered
701 Posts
What article said they changed nothing to bump the tow rating? Just curious. I’ve read two articles saying there was a chassis change that allowed for the addition of the Max Towing Package which resulted in the increase. I definitely like these 1500s and just reading up on the 3.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500HD Base 4x4, white
2 Posts
I will say one of my gripes is the low payload just like Grampy2020 touched on. Mine is like 1539lbs. With my gooseneck and one Jeep I'm around 9k lbs. Fifteen percent tongue weight and my 230lb butt put me over the payload capacity. I have air bags for the gooseneck and run a weight distribution hitch with sway control for the enclosed bumper pull. I know you'll be fine pulling your camper but definitely get a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Not the one with the chains. Do the bars with the "L" brackets. I pull on the interstate with all the confidence in the world. Really locks the truck and trailer together.
I think you’re referencing the Andersen WDH with the chains. I switched to this system 18 months ago because a friend told me it had the best sway control. I was worried the weight distribution wouldn’t work well. I was completely wrong! I’ve never looked back after making the switch. I live in West Texas with huge constant cross winds. Unequivocally the best sway control. The weight distribution is absolutely equal to the other systems that I’ve previously used. Currently, I tow a 9000 lb bumper pull TT 2-3 times a month. There is no camping close to me, so I always have to tow 3-4 hours to reach my camping area. I will never go back to a conventional WDH after using the chain type wdh (Andersen WDH). My TV is a GMC 2500HD duramax. Everyone has their own opinion, this is just my own experience.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
When the LM2 was release they were talking about cooling as a limiting factor.
Mid-cycle enhancement is an opportunity to change airflow and improve it. (which would mean there are changes)

These days all makers rate using the SAE test, part of which includes performance at high ambient temperatures.

Of course the changes do not apply to the '2022 1500 Limited' version (which is same as the '21's)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would this 1500 platform with the LM2 handle a TT with a weight of 7700lbs? I do not tow it often enough to justify my 3/4 ton truck that gets 13mpg daily driving. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I don’t no about anyone else but my lp5 get 18 around town and 21-24 mpg on highway

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just my 2 cents. I had a 2019 Sierra 1500 AT4 with a 6.2l and bought a TT Grand Design 2670mk 32 ft hitch to bumper with 8499 lb gvwr. I thought it should be fine. But by the time it is loaded to about 7800-8000 lbs the tongue was over 1000 lbs! Forget about filling the front fresh water tank then it’s about 1200lbs ready to go. Even with a weight distribution hitch with sway control and Roadmaster Active springs it still was a chore to tow. Every passing vehicle pulled it around, always was having to correct even when a small suv passed. Fast forward I now have a 21 Sierra 2500 Denali Diesel. Towing is night and day different. One hand and no suck, no sway. I almost forget it’s there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just returned from a 3800 mile trip from Cincinnati up through NY, VT, NH and finally Maine then back. My truck is a CCSB Z71 with Diesel off road package and my trailer weighs around the 6000K mark and is 22.5 ft. long, 8 ft. wide. My tongue weight is around 900 lbs. We did a lot of side trips so approx. 95% was towing and 5% not. I averaged 14.5 MPG (calculated usage not DIC, strong headwind on return trip) for the entire trip and used 10 gallons of DEF. I have an Andersen WDH that I like very much and yes I have had the bar type in the past. I drive about 63 to 65 MPH and do not use tow/haul very much, just my preference. I can feel a slight sway when a large SUV passes doing 70-75 MPH and definitely feel a sway when a tractor/trailer rig passes. I have never felt uncomfortable pulling this rig at any time. The truck pulls the weight with ease and the stabilitrac anti sway control works very well. I believe the sway is caused more by the soft sided Goodyear Wrangler tires on the truck. I plan on replacing those if I do more long range towing. I did experience a small amount of sagging when coupling the trailer because of the heavy tongue weight but I have already ordered an airbag kit for the rear to remedy this situation. I do feel that I have reached the limit of this truck but not crossed the line. That is more because of the max. allowable payload and nothing else. Know your limits and be safe there is too much at stake.

·
Registered
2021 High Country 3.0
53 Posts
Well all I can say is I hope you guys run some damn good and strong trailer brakes. I can’t imagine putting that much energy into 1500 brakes on a regular basis. D
If they have the gain set properly for their trailer brakes, and their trailer brakes are working as they should, it shouldn't be an issue stopping a TT. I always have my rig set so my truck stops itself, and the trailer stops itself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know it’s not the question you asked but I towed my 5th wheel (9,000) all over the United States, border to border, coast to coast with a 2015 1500 with a 6.2, 8 speed trans no problem and if that 6.2 gas could do it then I guarantee that LM2 will have no problem!

·
Registered
684 Posts
If they have the gain set properly for their trailer brakes, and their trailer brakes are working as they should, it shouldn't be an issue stopping a TT. I always have my rig set so my truck stops itself, and the trailer stops itself.
I completely agree the problem is what if something fails? I have seen the condition of some of the trailers that people pull and many do not do proper trailer brake checks to insure that the trailer brakes are working correctly. Even less do the proper maintenance on trailer brakes to make sure they are adjusted properly. To rely on 1500 truck brakes to stop that load is a disaster waiting to happen. I know when pulling my gooseneck I got enough truck to stop if something should happen to the trailer brakes. My tandem axle trailers all have brakes on each axle and I'm pretty through on all maintenance and operation of the trailer brakes. D

21 - 40 of 42 Posts