Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
well as soon as you get it put a PDM relocation kit on it or you'll have trouble soon they die alot because of the heat in their crappy location...also the lift pump under the driver side will die occasionally and they are slow stock...besides that they run and drive ok...i own a 6.5 1-ton

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
What is a PDM relocation kit? He is just using it to tow his bass around.
basically, the brain box is located on the injector pump. Its got a thermal connection to it, just like a processor in a computer. GM did that for cooling thinking the fuel would cool it, but most of the time the thermal gell creeps out between the surface and the computer(pcm) fries.

The PDM relocation kit is an extension cord for it, and allows you to relocate it to a safer (cooler) place.

I think probably the other problem is water fuel seperation, and the lift pump. The engine has high compression compared to the duramax, thus it cant take water getting in the fuel at all.

I would prolley get the PDM relocater, a small aftermarket lift pump, and an aftermarket fuel filter, water seperater setup and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is a very good website for the 6.5TD... SSDiesel Supply

Walt really knows his stuff!:drink

·
Registered
323 Posts
glad i could help:D

·
DIESEL MANIAC!!!
1,222 Posts
we had three half tons with the 6.5L 94 96 98 and they all ate the autos apart like nothing when towning

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Around here they are good if you use it as a truck and thats it. If you intend to pull a trailer or make it work like a diesel should they sh*t thier pants. Whether it be the problems mentioned above or a broken crank or glow plugs and burn valves on a yearly basis they are just not a heavy work truck engine at all. No matter what anyone tells you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had a 97 2500 That I drove for over 12 years. Loved it. It did start dying suddenly towards the end. I sold it to my stepson who is still driving it. The PDM was changed and all problems disapeared. Its got over 150,000 miles and runs great. Light towing it will do a great job.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.