Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need your help with this. I bought the tank and install kit in the following links.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306721_200306721

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200315501_200315501

I will be using my truck for a hot shot business that me and a couple of other friends started, so I will be running DOT. One of my friends saw what I had bought and mentioned to me that if I would get stopped i would get fined because this was not legal to run on a DOT truck. I called RDS about this and they assured me that there was a law out there about aux tanks but it did not pertain to their system.

Sorry for the long rant but I really need to know.

Anybody on here a DOT officer?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
According to the first link the tank is DOT approved or meets standards. My question would be, just by looking at the tank, do they not know it is a tool box? I would contact your state's DOT to be sure, but I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
I will be using my truck for a hot shot business that me and a couple of other friends started, so I will be running DOT. One of my friends saw what I had bought and mentioned to me that if I would get stopped i would get fined because this was not legal to run on a DOT truck. I called RDS about this and they assured me that there was a law out there about aux tanks but it did not pertain to their system.

I dont understand what your asking... DOT is the Department of Transportation. They govern the roads and make sure that all vehicles (especially commercial vehicles) are safe and legal.

So adding a fuel tank is the same basic thing as carrying a gas (fuel) can. I dont see how adding this would break any DOT laws if you get pulled over at a DOT stop.

From the Northern tool site:
"Tank meets DOT standards. It is the users responsibility to comply with local, state and federal requirements pertaining to safe transportation, loading and discharging of tank contents. Not intended to be used for gasoline in California."

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes tank does meet DOT standards but I was told that tapping into the fill neck with the kit is not DOT legal. I have also been told that I should have nothing to worry about!
Just wondering if anybody had had a similar experience.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
That's the way most people install their extra tank. I wouldn't worry about it since it does not look like a fuel tank. Your only other option to be 100% legal in all situations would be to buy a bigger stock replacement.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the chance of doing that but the tank itself was around $400 dollars to go to a 55 gal. Then I would still need a little tool box. I think this is better because I get a total of 95 gal.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah there was a tank with the pump on it but i cost about $1200. But it would defeat my purpose of not pullng over to fill up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts