Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I would like to thank William (mrmanners) for all his help with the ordering process. I ordered EFI live (kory) 5" flo pro (no muffler) egr block plates and a FASS 150 lift pump. I've done exhaust on trucks and egr deletes on a cummins but I have never tackled a lift pump. Is this a difficult part to install? How long am I looking at time wise for start to finish with everything? I'm also concerned about my cp4 which I have been reading up on all night. With the upgrades I have coming should I be overly concerned? So any tips and hints yall have for this project would be helpful so I know what I'm getting myself into. Any normal problems that could occur durin install? Anything I'll fight with the most? Again any help would be very much appreciated!

Reactions: Muncyhills

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just ordered almost the exact same setup. One of the things I ordered was a Deviant Race Parts EGR delete kit but one thing I missed was that if I use this kit I have to cut and weld my stock up pipe. I think I am just going to return this kit and just unplug the sensors. I don't have the tools or experience to modify the stock up pipe and I am already at my budget limit with the other parts I ordered so an aftermarket up pipe would have to wait a while.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
You can buy a new up pipe for fairly cheap if you don't want to cut and weld your stock one....they will even buy your old up pipes too....or you can just cap the up pipe using one of pro fabs up pipe riser cap

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
First of all I would like to thank William (mrmanners) for all his help with the ordering process. I ordered EFI live (kory) 5" flo pro (no muffler) egr block plates and a FASS 150 lift pump. I've done exhaust on trucks and egr deletes on a cummins but I have never tackled a lift pump. Is this a difficult part to install? How long am I looking at time wise for start to finish with everything? I'm also concerned about my cp4 which I have been reading up on all night. With the upgrades I have coming should I be overly concerned? So any tips and hints yall have for this project would be helpful so I know what I'm getting myself into. Any normal problems that could occur durin install? Anything I'll fight with the most? Again any help would be very much appreciated!
If you can work a socket set.,.you're fine...set aside a Saturday or Sunday and you can have all that done in maybe 5 hours. Take you're time though...you should have no issue other than how heavy the factory exhaust is. I would just cut mine off if I were you, but that's up to you. It will take alot longer if you try and unbolt....use some grease or wd 40 whe you're removing the hangers...they will slide right off...same thing when installing the new one

·
Registered
187 Posts
my FASS took about 2 hours to install, most if that time was figuring out where i was gonna put the bracket to mount it. just route your hoses somewhere good so they dont rub on anything or can kink

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the insight so far guys! Any other tricks or tips I should know?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you can work a socket set.,.you're fine...set aside a Saturday or Sunday and you can have all that done in maybe 5 hours. Take you're time though...you should have no issue other than how heavy the factory exhaust is. I would just cut mine off if I were you, but that's up to you. It will take alot longer if you try and unbolt....use some grease or wd 40 whe you're removing the hangers...they will slide right off...same thing when installing the new one
Question on cutting the exhaust....where do you recommend making the cut/cuts?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Question on cutting the exhaust....where do you recommend making the cut/cuts?
If you're not worried about....cut away til it all falls off....when I took mine off I made one cut though...it was somewhere near the urea tank...you'll figure it out when you crawl under there

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do I need to worry about my cp4 at this point???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You use an additive??? Sorry for the stupid question but why? I just wanna make sure I do what I need to make sure the truck runs fine.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
You use an additive??? Sorry for the stupid question but why? I just wanna make sure I do what I need to make sure the truck runs fine.
Because US fuel sucks! You have lots of reading to do! Do some searches on additives. Seems like diesel kleen and optilube are the most popular

·
Registered
37 Posts
Because US fuel sucks! You have lots of reading to do! Do some searches on additives. Seems like diesel kleen and optilube are the most popular
It sounds like overkill at this point. The fuel goes through a coarse filter at the pump, then through your FASS 150, then through your stock filter (if not deleted) and you're still using an additive? US fuel does suck but I think you've got it covered before the additive.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
It sounds like overkill at this point. The fuel goes through a coarse filter at the pump, then through your FASS 150, then through your stock filter (if not deleted) and you're still using an additive? US fuel does suck but I think you've got it covered before the additive.
I think you misunderstood. Those mods I have are just cleaning the fuel. It's not changing the scar rating of the fuel. The Bosch scar requirements aren't even close to what US fuel is. The additive is the only thing you can do to lubricate the fuel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think you misunderstood. Those mods I have are just cleaning the fuel. It's not changing the scar rating of the fuel. The Bosch scar requirements aren't even close to what US fuel is. The additive is the only thing you can do to lubricate the fuel.
I had never heard of scar rating. Quick search on google has educated me. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It really isn't that hard to drop the tranny cross member to remove the exhaust intact. I am willing to bet you can remove the cross member and pull the exhaust faster than you can cut it out.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
It really isn't that hard to drop the tranny cross member to remove the exhaust intact. I am willing to bet you can remove the cross member and pull the exhaust faster than you can cut it out.
Yea you can...but a quick cut with a saw zall is alot faster. In my thread I tried both and posted pics. At first I dropped the crossmember and the pipe still wouldn't come out...for some reason the gap wasn't big enough. It was about a half inch to small and the pipe wouldn't fall out. So I had to cut it. Wasted alot of time when I should have just cut it the first time. Not really sure why I was trying to save the pipe anyways....went straight to the scrap pile

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yea you can...but a quick cut with a saw zall is alot faster. In my thread I tried both and posted pics. At first I dropped the crossmember and the pipe still wouldn't come out...for some reason the gap wasn't big enough. It was about a half inch to small and the pipe wouldn't fall out. So I had to cut it. Wasted alot of time when I should have just cut it the first time. Not really sure why I was trying to save the pipe anyways....went straight to the scrap pile
You just needed to put your jack under the tranny and slowly jack it up unitl you could slide the pipe out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.