Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, I have lots of questions. I just installed the Stealth 2 with 6 programs. I only set the 50 hp gain due to the cautions about having some kind of gauge system. I am really looking for mileage plus added performance. I am getting ready for about a 1500 mile trip. I normally tow on a daily basis....maybe 3k. The manual didn't give much info on the settings. Will I be ok to tow at the 50 setting when I return? Is that the optimal setting because the next jump is up to 70 hp? What is "Limp mode" on the tranny and how do I avoid it...and what do I do if it goes into it? I have a 02 LB7 with 78000 on it. No other mods to date....planning on a Volant cold air system soon...maybe larger tires. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Heard if you Put more then 85hp gain and it Shifts in to 5th it will slip. And it only takes a Few times to send it to limp mode. Correct me if im Wrong Guys!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
up to about 60-65 hp is ok for towing if you take it easy. Most programmers towing tune is about 40 hp, so 50 hp should be their version of the tow tune. Normally the second tune is for fuel economy and for towing light....say under 6000 lbs. As far as limp mode, it normally happens during the 4-5th or 5-4th shift. It happens to save the tranny. Just don't have high horsepower settings and do WOT shifts during those two. Just ease into the throttle. The limp mode will lock out 5th and you will only be able to run 2000 rpms in 4th until you pull over and shut the truck off and restart. It is a good idea to keep the programmer in the truck so you can read codes and clear the check engine light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts