Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to all this and have some questions. Please forgive me if this question has been asked before.
I found an 04 silverado 2500 duramax crew cab short bed on Craigslist and I need to know if it has the lly or lbz. The owner says it needs new injectors and a glow plug control unit. What are the cost involved in buying injectors and a glow plug control unit and what else is there to look for (problem wise) in this year pickup? Thanks

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
get the vin # 8th digit will be engine code, 1 = LB7 , 2 = LLY

I bet if it needs sticks its an LB7...injectors will run you 1400-2200 depending on who you buy them from.

idk about GPCU

·
Registered
74 Posts
were are you located ? my guess is its an lb7 due to it needs injectors (gettin ready to do mine) as for the GPCU i would call your local parts store or dealer to find out how much the part is and possibly replacing it if your not comfortable with the job ... find out all the details on local repair work and use those numbers to see if the truck will be worth buying ... if it comes out to be the same or less after repairs as others on local market that are running then cool ... if it ends up being more then see if you can talk down to a reasonable price due to repairs needed but if not then might not be worth it

·
Registered
74 Posts
i would personally be leery of any truck with a tuner on it ... guarantee the truck has been beat on

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
only bad i can think of on the lb7 is injectors other then that its a great engine just save 4000(having a shop do it) for injectors down the road and now since they will go out again eventually even after you replace them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So they still go out even if you change them? I thought I heard that you can a get a different style injector that doesn't go out??

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I wish. they changed to a new injector cup i believe that keeps them alive longer but they still go out. id still buy a lb7 no emissions and best mileage. heck changed my injectors 2 weeks after I bought mine now im good for a while :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah...not sure if I want it if injectors still go out even after replacement. The person wants $11,000 for it. What do you say that pickup is worth?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
knowing the injectors are out id drop it 4 grand to 7k he will laugh at you but you also would have to put up to 4k into it so tht guy can either sell it an loss money or he can fix it. mine i got for 13 but I didnt know the injectors were going. thats just me its a nice truck but needs a couple thousand in repairs offer him a low number

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it has 6" lift, SSL interior (which I don't care about) and an edge tuner.
But I agree. I'll offer 7 lol.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
worse he can say is no lol and if he does look for something else there are more trucks out there good luck man happy hunting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts