Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my buddy who owns a f-250sd and he was telling me that the duramax was a gas motor turned into a diesel. Anyone know anything about this or was he just hating on duramaxs. thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I assume the guy thins its a stroked 6 ltr,big valve, alum heads,turbo charger,intercooler,I quess its those few things that make it a Duramax. NOT!!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
good one:rof:coolthe 6.2L was a GM built Diesel( more like a glorified gasser)and the 6.5L was a Detroit built diesel but the Duramax is built by Dmax encorp. in Morain OH and yes it is a true diesel built and assembled in the states,now can you say that about Navistar(PSD)..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually the D-maxes are Isuzu diesels built for or by GM! They originated in Thailand, made there way to north america with some of the heavy equipment but have been big in the auotmotive industry in Europe for years.Isuzu and General Motors Corporation have enjoyed mutually beneficial relations in diverse areas of business since both companies first agreed to their capital tie-up in 1971. The alliance has grown to include cooperation in all phases of operation to leverage each company's business resources. In 1997, GM and Isuzu agreed that Isuzu is mainly responsible for diesel engine development for GM.
The Ford Navistar Powerstroke Diesel or PSD ismade by International for Ford!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Isuzu Duramax

Actually the D-maxes are Isuzu diesels built for or by GM! They originated in Thailand, made there way to north america with some of the heavy equipment but have been big in the auotmotive industry in Europe for years.Isuzu and General Motors Corporation have enjoyed mutually beneficial relations in diverse areas of business since both companies first agreed to their capital tie-up in 1971. The alliance has grown to include cooperation in all phases of operation to leverage each company's business resources. In 1997, GM and Isuzu agreed that Isuzu is mainly responsible for diesel engine development for GM.
The Ford Navistar Powerstroke Diesel or PSD ismade by International for Ford!

·
Registered
33 Posts
GM had a 5.7 liter diesel before the 6.2 that was a converted 350. They came in a few cars, but not for long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DURAMAX Diesels

For a quick brief history GM started a quest to enter the diesel market with its own engines in the early 80's with their now infamous 5.7L in their Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs and of couse the GMC's. After America discovered the inadaquate attemp at converting a gas engine (350V8) to diesel, the market for the diesel engines fell to the medium and heavy duty trucks only and to Dodge and Ford.

After several years of gas only production GM finally came out with their 6.5L and later their 6.2L diesels. The 6.5L was a 400 block V8 w/4 bolt mains and a case hardened crank and cam assy. which eventually wound up in the Hummer and was delivered to the Military.

The 6.2L though was a TRUE diesel but WAS NOT built by GM! It was built by a company that they were and are a major investor in called I S U Z U....

By the way, Japan and Isuzu have had the lead in clean burning and powerful engines for years, ahead of even the Euopeans until the last couple of years-Note the AUDI R10TDI which won the 24 hours of LeManns again this year.

Since then there has been many changes and as one of the responders has said the motor is now built in America.

Engineering by Japan but MADE IN AMERICA! ! !

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,975 Posts
I had a 81 buick regal with the 5.7 diesel. Motor was gutless but it ran for freakin ever. Only problem was gas stations pumping unleaded into tank:rof

·
Registered
199 Posts
GM had a 5.7 liter diesel before the 6.2 that was a converted 350. They came in a few cars, but not for long.
I had an old Oldsmobile back in the day with one of those Diesels. I did my homework on it & found out that yes, it was a gas motor converted to a diesel! God was that piece of crap slow

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually liked the little 5.7 It wasn't meant to be a powerhouse truck motor but it made a damn fine commuter vehicle out of a 1/2 ton pick up. I had a '79 that we put 150,00 on before a tree got in the way. Then I had an '80 that went 275,000 before we got rid of it to get a suburban with a 6.2 The thing with the 5.7s was that the Roosamaster pump was only good for about 50,000 and than you needed to put a seal kit in it. 2 hours in and out and you were good for another 50,000. Frequent oil changes on those motors were a must.

·
Registered
395 Posts
News Flash....ISUZU and GM boke apart. I'd tell u a secret on the Duramax...but then I'd be on the LIST.........LOL>

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Try this/he'll shut that mouth QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was talking to my buddy who owns a f-250sd and he was telling me that the duramax was a gas motor turned into a diesel. Anyone know anything about this or was he just hating on duramaxs. thanks
He just wishes his Stupor Duty could compare to a Duramax....Simply HATING..
1. Get truck:)
2. Get chain[Heavy]:D
3. With trucks facing away each other[hook chains]:rolleyes:
4. RIP HIS FRAME OUT FROM UNDER HIM!!!!:eek:
5. You buy beer,he needs money to fix the PowerSmoke!!!:rof

If your buddy told ya this about a Duramax he is sadly mistaken,the Duramax is designed by Isuzu...:gearjamin

·
Registered
104 Posts
5.7 OLDS (350 gas converted to diesel) later got a stronger block and crank (many blocks and cranks broken in half) early 6.2 came out (red in color or mabe orange) they had head gasket problems then the black 6.2 after that the 6.5 non turbo and last the 6.5 turbo the 6.2 and 6.5 are the same block just one has more c.i. and if i rember right inj. pump for the 6.2 and 6.5 is the same except till they went to computer control after the end of the 6.5 came the dmax!!! the olds guys like the later blocks and cranks to use to hot rod gas motors to make a stronger 350 by using gas pistons and gas heads the 6.2 and the 6.5 are diesel only NOT a modified gasser

·
Registered
261 Posts
hey the durmax is a purpose built diesel engine that is not a converted gas engine.
It is built buy the Dmax corp. here in the us in Ohio. Dmax is a joint ownership of GM and Iszu corp. In the eightys GM did use a converted gas engine to diesel and they performed poorly then GM use a Detroit Diesel (Detorit Diesel is/was used to be owned by GM) then in Mid 90's the first evolution of the Dmax was produced and the current Dmax is an evloutionary cousin of the first.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
wow your friend is a idiot. 6.5 was built by detriot and gm owned them at the time. gm owns the d-max plant now. the duramax was thought of back in 98 and gm saw what was going on with the motor and they whanted to put it in there superior built pickup that is how it all got started. the first d-maxed pickup was made in 2000 and 8 years later it is going strong. in that 8 year period of time ford is on there 3rd diesel. shows you the quality of navistar international.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts