Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend is gunna be awesome my first time to the track..get to see wht times i can get....BUT am i race ready? What are the procedures to prep a truck to run on the track...like tire psi mirrors folded in headllight removal? what about my intake box i have stock intake with non oil knn and lmm MP...good enough? any suggestion would be greatly appreciated..Hope to see some of ya there.:drink

Jacob

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Drop pressures all around, lower tbars all the way and start with small boost to see were it wants to launch at to get the most traction!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Oh and have fun!!!! Watch the trans also.....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 2x4 :( lol and i dont even have gauges just the dashboard on efilive..still need to turn tbars down? can i Ubolt my overloads to the rest of my spring pack for better traction?.......im scared about running my 150hp race tune with my stock tranny..still need to drive it home 3 hours away lol

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have 2x4 :( lol and i dont even have gauges just the dashboard on efilive..still need to turn tbars down? can i Ubolt my overloads to the rest of my spring pack for better traction?.......im scared about running my 150hp race tune with my stock tranny..still need to drive it home 3 hours away lol
Yes lots a guys clamp springs but 150 tune and stock trans and more traction don't=up to a good drive home if you fry it..... I usually launch 2wd at about 1800 and have just a bit of spin on my 110 tune....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
see i was gunna ask if you have an estimate on what rpm you leave at...but some guys on here jump on me for doing tht...would i be at an advantage being in 2wd down the track becuse im lighter compared to a 4x4? and on the street i leave t 1100-1200 rpm with little wheel spin....if i leave at 14-1600 i spin into third on lvl 3 :( i hate 2wds lol

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Never raced at a track but usually hook up with little spin at 1600-1800 and you would be at a advantage if you could get off the line and a good 60' but thats not going to happen against a 4wd launch... They will more then likely be to far ahead to run them down even with less weight and drag...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
man that sucks but oh well im going to have fun and a buddy of mine is bringing a twin max so ill have fun with his single cab 4x4 lol.....thanks for the info....one more ? what kind of ubolts would i need to do my spring paks...like HD ubolts or just some regular ones how much stress will i take?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Not sure on the ubolts but check robs sight atptrucks I thought he had some, to give yo a idea... Or do some searching... From what I hear tracks are slippery so start small and work your way up, have fun and don't be dissapointed!!!!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh never disappointed...i love my truck i have ome numbers that i am beting my self on....high 14's on lvl 3 13.99-14.39 on lvl 4 thats just a guess..i thought tracks where sticky bc of the tar they put down?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So the trans fluid will stay cooler and then in change be thicker which will allow better hook up on the trans internals? What should the temp be...driving all day the trans stays at 190-195**

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
keep front tire pressure up. drop rears to 25 and start from there. do a burnout and feel for where the tire is most sticky. if its more stick in the middle then the outside you need less pressure if more on the outside you need more pressure. make sure your trans is up to temp and so is your coolant. do a burnout but dont go crazy. when i raced in 2wd i ran 315's and still couldnt launch at more then 5-6 psi without spinning like crazy. managing your hammer foot will be key. blowing the tires off wont help anything.

get rid of those ATR's and get some good street tires or even better some cheater slicks on a second set of rims so you can just change them out for the track.

if you've never ran before do some watching first so you see how they stage you and stuff at the track. make sure you get your rear tires in the groove.

·
Registered
207 Posts
youre trans is 190-195 degrees? isnt that hot?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Idk I txt my tuner the same question he said it's fine....I would I tell what wherey tires are sticky at? How long do burn out?

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Idk I txt my tuner the same question he said it's fine....I would I tell what wherey tires are sticky at? How long do burn out?
burnout for 3-5 seconds that should be plenty. after you make the pass park and feel your tires. they'll still be sticky. just dont drive over any dirt

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright..what about mirrors do they need to be folded back? Head light removed? I have a bed cover should I put it on? Lol

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Alright..what about mirrors do they need to be folded back? Head light removed? I have a bed cover should I put it on? Lol
forget bed cover, pull tailgate, i dont think the light will change shit with a stock airbox but if you feel like it shoot. mirrors is just for looks:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol gotcha...alright so drop tire pressure..check for stickyness and watch the foot on take off basically.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Lol gotcha...alright so drop tire pressure..check for stickyness and watch the foot on take off basically.
pretty much. its gonna take some runs before you get it right.

anything heavy you can remove from your truck will help as well.

i HIGHLY recommend getting some good tires (preferably cheater slicks) if you even wanna think about being competitive with the 4x4 guys

and also traction bars or spring clamps

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.