Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2005 Durmax. I changed the tranny fluid & fuel filter and was going to change the radiator fluid. I was told to put Dex-cool in. I did a google search on it & found several articles pertaining to a class action lawsuit involving GM & Dex-cool, something about the coolent causing harm to the engine. I believe this was a couple of years back. Can someone tell me what is the reccommended fluid to use?

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
just put coolant in it. i use autozone brand "mix with any color" cheap coolant.

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
The suit dealt with older, small displacement, gas engines...Not the Dmax. And it involved models much older than 'a couple years back'.

Because of the suit, the research GM did in the case resulted in finding negligence in fluid maintenance on the owners' part as a result. The commonality found in the cases, was low fluid system levels ran for long periods. When kept full, it greatly diminished the corrosion factor, with coolant age being another cause.

You can't just ignore the coolant for years in any vehicle with any water-based coolant brand used. With the Dmax, I'd start looking to change it at 50-60k miles. But mainly, keep it FULL of coolant. It's cheap, why neglect it?

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
Dex doesn't always play well with other coolants, it can coagulate if mixed with some other brands. If you are going to change coolant, do a thorough system flush just to be sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the information. I looked & the fluid is red, so I am guessing that the fluid in there now is Dex-cool. I have read where it is not good to mix the red & green. Is there any brand od Dex-cool I should look for? Also what is the best way to flush the system? Thanks!!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
Use Dex-Cool 50/50. Its :cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dex doesn't always play well with other coolants, it can coagulate if mixed with some other brands. If you are going to change coolant, do a thorough system flush just to be sure.
I remember a long time ago I had a "back flush" kit I put on my car. Has anyone installed one on a DMAX? This was a very quick and easy way to flush the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts