Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the normal temps for engine coolant? I had my stack cleaned last year and temps were running about 180 during fall and winter after cleaning. Was having issues overheating pulling 13k 5r up hills. 240 degrees. Yes I kept the rpms in the 2k- 2.5k range. It now running 210 empty 90% of the time but once in a while it will lower back to 180. A slight grade will bring temp back to 210 running empty. I do have Robs tune which I run in the enhanced stock mode when empty and the 40hp heavy tow mode when pulling 5r. Shes got 150k on her. I did put oversized stock tires on ( lt265/75R16) instead of the stock 245s which i think I regret because it raised the gear ratio and find myself using 3-5th gears to control temps. Radiator hoses, cap all new and on second flush.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What is the normal temps for engine coolant? I had my stack cleaned last year and temps were running about 180 during fall and winter after cleaning. Was having issues overheating pulling 13k 5r up hills. 240 degrees. Yes I kept the rpms in the 2k- 2.5k range. It now running 210 empty 90% of the time but once in a while it will lower back to 180. A slight grade will bring temp back to 210 running empty. I do have Robs tune which I run in the enhanced stock mode when empty and the 40hp heavy tow mode when pulling 5r. Shes got 150k on her. I did put oversized stock tires on ( lt265/75R16) instead of the stock 245s which i think I regret because it raised the gear ratio and find myself using 3-5th gears to control temps. Radiator hoses, cap all new and on second flush.
Don't know what year your truck is ( fill out your signature) but 265 is the stock size on my 05. As to the temps, since you say that it goes back to 185 sometimes it sounds like one of your thermostats is not opening. Also, running in hills pulling a trailer it's normal to down shift.

Is the fan engaging?

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Radiator hoses, cap all new and on second flush.
What about the T-stats?
You could have one or both hanging open, which can reduce heat cycle range.

And, the dash gauge reads higher than actual....T-stats being 180* & 185*.

Not difficult to swap out, inexpensive from Rock.
I've just used either the Stant ($18) or Gates ($36), one of those probably makes the acDelco ones.

And looking thru now, I see Stant has a new kit ($25) with a new surge tank cap, both T-stats, AND a new temp sensor, what a deal. :smile2:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8932236&cc=1441211&jsn=461
But you've already got a new cap.

Reactions: journeyman291

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the 2 stats replaced and all is good now. Wanted AC Delco replacements but small town didn't have and needed right away. The Israeli made ones look like half the product of the factory ones. Here's hoping they hold up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.