Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've searched around a bit to see how people are dealing with rain water building up in the stacks and haven't found anything. A small amount of rain I could see not being a problem but what about the days of heavy rainfall? I don't like the curved tips (I like the slash cut style) and I don't like a flapper design. How are people with these 5" slash/straight cut style pipes dealing with weather?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. So maybe a pitcock style drain could be welded in? Similiar to the ones on a large air compressor tank. I'm suprised Grand Rock wouldn't include such an option. I don't like the idea of leaving an open hole under my cab while idling. Would be nice to close it after draining.

As fun as it is to blast out the big smoke I have to admit doing it in busy traffic is quite the distraction. Stacks are a great way to avoid this.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
They make stack hats also, I've seen them on Enterprise's website.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
a small hole is about the best idea seeing i have seen when guys forget to take the exhaust hat off but it doesn't really harm anything just makes for a very interesting experience...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Its really not that big of a deal. I have had mine out for several days of heavy rain and once you heat the exhaust up it will evaporate all the water. If the truck sits stored for long periods of time you can cover them with a stack hat or just a pair of coffee cans.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rain water shouldn't hurt any more than condensation in the pipes. If you want to drill a small hole to allow water to drip out, thats fine. Just be sure to touch the area up with some sort heat paint, to keep the exposed metal from rusting any quicker. We do not put a drain hole in the exhaust systems because we've found out that most people drive the truck daily, and what little water gets in, will be evaporated quickly. I've seen everything from coffee cans, to kittie litter buckets, to 1 gallon freezer bags being used to keep water our over night. The fun part about that is start up, and see how high you can shoot them puppies up in the air...LOL I think if you'd have an old soft cover for a truck bed, use that material, and make your self some outta that. Thats probably what I'll do once I get a truck to put stacks on it...LOL

·
Registered
352 Posts
Minnie kegs work great as well. But yeah drilling a small hole is the best and if your worried about funes or something like that at idle dont be because if any exhuast go through the holes its going to be so little that you wont even notice it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ok..... .... ... .. .

·
Registered
1 Posts
waebehonime
:ban:ban:ban:ban:ban:ban:ban:ban:ban:ban
some people have way to much time on their hands

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was wondering also. I thought about about drilling holes but wasn't really sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts