Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. So I made the most embarassing mistake a guy can make. For the first time ever, I ran out of fuel in my 2003 Duramax :cookoo[1]:. Trouble is, I have put more diesel in the truck and turned the key to the on position several times in hopes of priming the fuel pump plenty to get the truck started. After doing so, I am still unable to get the truck started even with pumping the gas a bit more while cranking it. I don't want to wear down the battery too much but keeping this method up so I am here to ask for help! Please help!!! :help

Oh yeah, when I cracked the bleeder while trying to do the same process, I noticed that the bleeder is not leaking any fuel at this point so I have to imagine there is still plenty of air in the system which is keeping it from firing. I was looking for some sort of manual primer that I can use to push the air out and get some fuel in to play. Anyone know if the 2003 has a manual primer? I am not seeing one. Let me know if you can help! :drink

All help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
17,252 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I'll be back at my in-law's house tomorrow to see about getting everything worked out so I will have to look again to try to find the manual pump that you guys are referring to! MUCH appreciated!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Do a search on changing fuel filters, there are walk throughs with pics and it will show a pic of the pump

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
its on top of the fuel filter housing, hard to miss. and like others have said, it'll give you a good finger workout lol

·
Registered
437 Posts
pump pump pump, :liftweight and then pump some more. then watch your GAS gauge. :rof

you'll get it

·
Registered
95 Posts
It'll be less pumping if you fill the fuel filter w/ fresh fuel first.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I always do it every time I change the fuel filter. I've never had any problem from it nor have I ever been told otherwise.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I always do it every time I change the fuel filter. I've never had any problem from it nor have I ever been told otherwise.
good to know-does it cut down on the pumping :)

i'll give it a try in the next few wks, i'm due for a change

·
Registered
95 Posts
It cuts down on the pumping greatly bc it no longer has to fill the whole filter, just the difference.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
the reason they say not to prefill the filter is because you are putting unfiltered fuel into the engine. most filters say do not prefill. some want you to prefill just depends on what you buy

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i personally prefer to spend the few min pumping manually then fill the fill the filter with unfiltered fuel. Ya its a pain, but as others have said, one small particle and its a costly mistake.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I cheat, once I change my filter, I turn the key and let my AirDog fill the filter for me. Fresh, cleaned fuel and very little pumping of the primer. But before the AD I would not fill the filter and prime it manually. Not to hard, just takes a minute.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Do not pre-fill your filters.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts