Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all
I'm fairly new to this forum, I've been lurking and reading for a few weeks now. I purchased a new '06 2500 short bed, crew, a couple of months ago. This week I had ranchhand bumper installed on the front, the spec. sheet said it weights 250#. The front seems to have sagged a bit with the extra weight. It would be nice to raise the front about 2" or so. I know the torsion bar can be tweeked some, but not how much height I can gain. Anyone have a solution? Ideas? This truck only has 2k miles on it, I hate to have to start changing supension parts this early in the game.

Thanks,
LD

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
welcome to the site!! You can get some lift out of the front with torsion bar cranking. I had mine cranked for a little while (one day)....the ride was so terrible that I had them lower it again. You can lift it an inch or so and it shouldn't affect the ride too much. If you do crank your bars some, I would recommend to either get longer shocks or shock mount spacers. (available from cognito) You will most likely need an alignment after the fact. To get your lift and retain factory ride you will need the cognito leveling kit (check it out on cognitomotorsports.com). It has replacement upper a-arms with bolt in ball joints. There is a better ball joint angle for when you crank the torsion bars. I will be getting this kit when I have to replace upper ball joints again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Welcome and the reply. I've decided at the first chance to crank up the factory adjusters on the truck. I also was looking this morning and it looks like I might be able to build a longer rear spring hanger and drop the rear of the truck and accomplish the same thing. Or maybe someone builds something like that? This won't be a problem w/ tires, I already replaced the factory treads with 235/85 on the stock rims, it may not look cool but it is super effective here in Utah, snow, ice, gravel roads.

·
Registered
699 Posts
on my last truck "02 2500hd ecsb" i had a maverick bumper put on it and it was about 425 pounds. we turned the torsion bars all the way to get it back to normal hieght, it rode fine but you will go threw some front end parts. spend the money like ob_1jr was saying, wear the factory stuff out then do it right, it's well worth it verses the headache.

·
Registered
93 Posts
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I have three gm trucks to my name all with ranch hand front replacements and all having the torsion bars adjusted and i have never had any problems. Two of the trucks are early 90s Z-71s with over 250,000, then my new 06. All have 285's and I have had only one problem with each...... HUBS!!! But that is from my tire size and what these trucks drive through. Yes the ride is a little rougher, but i drive a truck, not a Cadillac ;)

Can you guys tell me more on what i maybe should look for, because besides ride characteristics i never noticed, heard , and had any thing break. What were your experiences?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howdy,
Part of my concern is premature wear on front end parts, I have an Diamond A bumper/grill on a '01 cummins, about every 40k miles something is wearing out on the frontend. Ball joints seem to be good for only around 60-70k miles.
And that is a straight axle, this is the first indepentent front suspention I have ever owned. I suspect part of it is, the Dodge sees about 25k a year on the worst kind of dirt road. Yeah, I did pretty much buy the Chevy for my Cadillac, to pull with on pavement and to look pretty in. I probably need all the help I can get, in the pretty Dept. LOL

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Howdy,
Part of my concern is premature wear on front end parts, I have an Diamond A bumper/grill on a '01 cummins, about every 40k miles something is wearing out on the frontend. Ball joints seem to be good for only around 60-70k miles.
And that is a straight axle, this is the first indepentent front suspention I have ever owned. I suspect part of it is, the Dodge sees about 25k a year on the worst kind of dirt road. Yeah, I did pretty much buy the Chevy for my Cadillac, to pull with on pavement and to look pretty in. I probably need all the help I can get, in the pretty Dept. LOL
you said it DODGE...no dodges usually wear front end parts faster then chevys and more so when they have the diesel..did you replace any front bearings yet,if not you'll probalily be doing some in the near future.ya we use to have a 98 3500 Ram..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts