Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am hoping for some insight from the owners of Ranch Hand front bumper’s. I am unsure on which bumper to install on my 2019 Sierra; the Legend or the Summit full replacement front bumpers? I like the looks of the Summit a little better- because it is not so darn bulky. But I don’t want a bumper that I will have to bend back out or replace after hitting a deer. Is the Summit up to the task of possibly hitting a deer? If not I will gladly just buy the Legend, but I am hoping for some assistance before I jump in. Also; is there still any issue with overheating caused by these aftermarket bumpers?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't speak on the sturdiness of the summit series, but I have a Ranch Hand Legend winch mount bumper and I love it. The thing is solid as a rock...I can't imagine much that would damage it! Also, at 30,000 miles on my 2018, I have never had any overheating issues. I put the bumper on when the truck was around 200 miles and I live and make long highway drives in the desert southwest (southern NM, AZ, CA).

·
Registered
351 Posts
Also consider the Frontier brand. I have a Frontier original on my 2015 Sierra and it looks great, is not too heavy and has bounced a deer off the front. You can’t even tell. The Pro is the heavier model. I have a friend that has one and he has hit more than one deer with it and other than being dented a little, still looks pretty good.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I had a summit on my old 1500, solid bumper base but the second deer did slightly bend the upper passenger side headlight guard in. It did not impact the headlight so I still consider it a win, and I was able to pull it back into place. They also stand up to GA hogs. I tried finding pictures of the deer after but I must've deleted those, sorry man. Both are great bumpers though.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't speak on the sturdiness of the summit series, but I have a Ranch Hand Legend winch mount bumper and I love it. The thing is solid as a rock...I can't imagine much that would damage it! Also, at 30,000 miles on my 2018, I have never had any overheating issues. I put the bumper on when the truck was around 200 miles and I live and make long highway drives in the desert southwest (southern NM, AZ, CA).
great info mayerfj0- thank you. im glad to hear there is no temperature issue

Reactions: mayerfj0

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also consider the Frontier brand. I have a Frontier original on my 2015 Sierra and it looks great, is not too heavy and has bounced a deer off the front. You can’t even tell. The Pro is the heavier model. I have a friend that has one and he has hit more than one deer with it and other than being dented a little, still looks pretty good.
heck yea. some real world data. I will check these out. thnaks

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a summit on my old 1500, solid bumper base but the second deer did slightly bend the upper passenger side headlight guard in. It did not impact the headlight so I still consider it a win, and I was able to pull it back into place. They also stand up to GA hogs. I tried finding pictures of the deer after but I must've deleted those, sorry man. Both are great bumpers though.
heck, two deer and only a little bend- I can handle that. total win! yup- there are hogs running around on roads and such down here in Lower Alabama where im working now too- haha. thanks TX_DMax17

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't speak for ranch hand but my Go Rhino doesn't cause any over heating issues.
damn that's a good looking truck. I wil check these Go Rhino's out. thanks hdrolling

Reactions: hdrolling

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here what they look like on a GMC.
badass. not quite what im looking for on my 3500 (I want the full guards), but these are sweet. I need a light setup like these trucks have for sure!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check out Body Guard Bumpers, they make some quality stuff that looks beefy. They're thicker than the Ranch Hand I had. I went to their place in Paris, TX to see first hand, real nice people. I'm considering one for a winch setup.

these are definitely beefy and look great. my only concern is (strictly judging by the photos on the site) they seem to have very little coverage on the bottom. I mean that the lower edge of the bumper does not come down very much- leaving some areas exposed. (I have this issue with many of the bumpers I have looked at). one thing I like about the RH bumpers is the lower "pipe stock" bar which protects radiator cooler/steering assemblies and such. just something to think about...

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
these are definitely beefy and look great. my only concern is (strictly judging by the photos on the site) they seem to have very little coverage on the bottom. I mean that the lower edge of the bumper does not come down very much- leaving some areas exposed. (I have this issue with many of the bumpers I have looked at). one thing I like about the RH bumpers is the lower "pipe stock" bar which protects radiator cooler/steering assemblies and such. just something to think about...
I loved my Ranch Hand and still like them, but they're not made for winches, and that's a deal breaker for me now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I loved my Ranch Hand and still like them, but they're not made for winches, and that's a deal breaker for me now.
They have a winch models available... https://www.ranchhand.com/winch-ready-front-bumpers

Anyway, I love my Legend series. Wish I would have sprung for the Sport with the winch tray, but the Legend is bulletproof and sits a lot closer to the truck than some of the older models. I think they look nice and offer a ton of protection. Most of my 18K miles are towing either an 8K boat or 15K RV on a heavy tow tune, and I've never had any thermal issues.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
They have a winch models available... https://www.ranchhand.com/winch-ready-front-bumpers

Anyway, I love my Legend series. Wish I would have sprung for the Sport with the winch tray, but the Legend is bulletproof and sits a lot closer to the truck than some of the older models. I think they look nice and offer a ton of protection. Most of my 18K miles are towing either an 8K boat or 15K RV on a heavy tow tune, and I've never had any thermal issues.
They only offer support for chevrolets, GMC support stops at 2014. I've already checked the website and catalog. I guess I could email them about working on one for our trucks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,
I am hoping for some insight from the owners of Ranch Hand front bumper’s. I am unsure on which bumper to install on my 2019 Sierra; the Legend or the Summit full replacement front bumpers? I like the looks of the Summit a little better- because it is not so darn bulky. But I don’t want a bumper that I will have to bend back out or replace after hitting a deer. Is the Summit up to the task of possibly hitting a deer? If not I will gladly just buy the Legend, but I am hoping for some assistance before I jump in. Also; is there still any issue with overheating caused by these aftermarket bumpers?
Had the Summit on my 2015 2500hd. On the interstate I hit an elk at 80 mph last June in the middle of the night. Pic shows the result. The truck was totaled but the bumper did its job and prevented the elk from going through the windshield. Legend appears to be a bit more heavy duty but there is nothing out there (in my opinion) that would take a lick like I did and get through unscathed. I consider it a win as we got through with no injuries and I got a new 2018 2500hd out of the deal (which btw sports a Ranch Hand). I was pulling an empty 16" utility trailer at the time and it came out undamaged.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Wow! This is certainly a testament to the product.

I now notice that RanchHand also has a smooth metal option in bumpers which look pretty good.

Reactions: Elkhorn

·
Registered
318 Posts
They only offer support for chevrolets, GMC support stops at 2014. I've already checked the website and catalog. I guess I could email them about working on one for our trucks.
Wow, that's really weird. Being that the frame mounts should be the same, I wonder what exactly is keeping the Chevrolet models from being retrofitted (aside from the bars not lining up with the GMC lights).

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Wow, that's really weird. Being that the frame mounts should be the same, I wonder what exactly is keeping the Chevrolet models from being retrofitted (aside from the bars not lining up with the GMC lights).
I don't have direct access to a Chevy so I'm just eyeballing it online right now, but the grille and headlights being so different make it look like the bumper of the GMC comes up higher than the Chevy. There'd be a pretty big gap between the bumper and headlights, but I think the grille would dip into the bumper. Could overcome it with some additional metal on top of the Ranch Hands' sides that meet the fenders, but you'd have to do some custom grille to not sit so low. My old 1500's Ranch Hand had some similar strips of diamond plate along the top that followed the body lines better so that aspect is not outside the realm of possibilities. I was pretty surprised to see they did not have one for GMC's given the market, but it seems that Chevy is treated as more the blue collar truck with offerings compared to GMC.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts