Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on some new shocks. I've got some stockers and it sounds like the truck is falling apart when the shocks reload. I'm set on Ranchos and leaning more towards the 9000 because their adjustable.

I don't tow everyday or even once a week but towing a tool carrier with a tiller and a rake the other day kinda pushed me to the realization that its time for an upgrade in the shock department. I commute 30 miles to work 6 days a week mostly hwy.

I buy all 4. If I were to go with the 5000's w/ the rebate rancho has going right now I'd get them for 179 and 140 w/ the rebate which is a 30$ visa prepaid

If I buy the 9000's I'd get them for 330 and then 230 w/ the rebate which is 100$.

IMO it seems like the 9000's are the better buy being that they're adjustable and the rebate is quite a bit more. How often I'd be adjusting them I'm not sure but it sure sounds nice to have the option. The 5000's are obviously cheaper but they seem more one dimensional. I'd appreciate anyone's opinion because it's hard to apply some of the stuff on here when everyone's situation is different. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I just put the 9000's on a couple weeks ago and they're great shocks so far, I'd definitely say get the 9000's cuz the adjustability means you can tailor the ride to how you want it to be

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Bilstein 5100

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just put the 9000's on a couple weeks ago and they're great shocks so far, I'd definitely say get the 9000's cuz the adjustability means you can tailor the ride to how you want it to be
What setting do you have yours on?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you ran 3 across the board are you too bouncy?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
If you ran 3 across the board are you too bouncy?
I'm not sure, I haven't played around as much with the front as I have with the back

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on some new shocks. I've got some stockers and it sounds like the truck is falling apart when the shocks reload. I'm set on Ranchos and leaning more towards the 9000 because their adjustable.

I don't tow everyday or even once a week but towing a tool carrier with a tiller and a rake the other day kinda pushed me to the realization that its time for an upgrade in the shock department. I commute 30 miles to work 6 days a week mostly hwy.

I buy all 4. If I were to go with the 5000's w/ the rebate rancho has going right now I'd get them for 179 and 140 w/ the rebate which is a 30$ visa prepaid

If I buy the 9000's I'd get them for 330 and then 230 w/ the rebate which is 100$.

IMO it seems like the 9000's are the better buy being that they're adjustable and the rebate is quite a bit more. How often I'd be adjusting them I'm not sure but it sure sounds nice to have the option. The 5000's are obviously cheaper but they seem more one dimensional. I'd appreciate anyone's opinion because it's hard to apply some of the stuff on here when everyone's situation is different. Thanks!
I went with the 9K's pretty beefy suckers and so far no complaints. I have mine set 5 upfront and 2 in the rear... really smooth ride

·
Registered
47 Posts
Put some on 6 years ago...now they won't adjust. I guess its time to change them? They have gone way up in price.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I haul campers 1/2 the time and leave them at 7 both front and rear. I really like the way the truck handles with trailers. Just truck its a firm ride. Still an improvement over stock.
Been on the truck for 210k miles now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haul campers 1/2 the time and leave them at 7 both front and rear. I really like the way the truck handles with trailers. Just truck its a firm ride. Still an improvement over stock.
Been on the truck for 210k miles now.
Went with the 9k's! I got them for 330 and I'm gonna do the rebate deal so they'll really only run me 230 when it's all said and done. Everywhere else had them going for around 430 out the door so it sounds like I got a good deal. I've received the two front shocks and the two rear's have just shipped. I'm excited to put them to work.

Chevor that's a shitload of miles what do you do for a living?!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Where did you end up getting them? Maybe let us know what u think once u get them on. My truck has 47k miles but do you all think that it would feel better towing the tag toy hauler with new better shocks.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I drive the truck for a living.
Hauling campers from factories in Indiana across the country to the dealers.
Drove 150k a year for the first 3 years I have owned the truck. This year I am being lazy. Should of had 500k on truck by March.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
My truck has 47k miles but do you all think that it would feel better towing the tag toy hauler with new better shocks.
Youd have better ride comfort & handling with new shocks. Most any aftermarket brand shock would be better then the stock OE shocks. The 9000 are better then the 5000s. The 3 thing I didnt like about the 9000s was, the adjustment knob quit working, handling when towing, & the shocks didnt last as long as my previous shocks.

·
Registered
2006 Silverado 2500HD C.C. 4x4 5" exh. Kennedy single lift pump.
192 Posts
I put 9000s on my 98 chevy a few years ago. Got a killer deal along with the $100 rebate. I was using my truck to haul a camper that was about 3000 lbs loaded. I also put air bags on the rear. The bags helped but I thought the shocks were awesome. I would crank them all the way up when hauling and 5 in the front and 3 in the back when empty. What a difference.

The front of my truck didnt dive going around corners like it did with other shocks. The whole truck just handles way better. It only took a couple minutes to change the adjustement. To me they were one of the best additions I made to that truck. I figured for that price I couldnt go wrong. I was right. I think you will be very happy with your choice.

HntnFsh

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put 9000s on my 98 chevy a few years ago. Got a killer deal along with the $100 rebate. I was using my truck to haul a camper that was about 3000 lbs loaded. I also put air bags on the rear. The bags helped but I thought the shocks were awesome. I would crank them all the way up when hauling and 5 in the front and 3 in the back when empty. What a difference.

The front of my truck didnt dive going around corners like it did with other shocks. The whole truck just handles way better. It only took a couple minutes to change the adjustement. To me they were one of the best additions I made to that truck. I figured for that price I couldnt go wrong. I was right. I think you will be very happy with your choice.

HntnFsh

Nice! I'm excited to install them. Should do it on my day off. I'm gonna look at a thread for the install instructions. The rear shocks look fairly simple to get in and out. The two front ones though seem a little bit more involved. Is there any advice you guys could give from just personal experience? Also I read someone saying on another thread that they don't use the rubber boot because it "traps water and debris and promotes corrosion." Is there any truth to that?

·
Registered
2006 Silverado 2500HD C.C. 4x4 5" exh. Kennedy single lift pump.
192 Posts
Should be a pretty simple install front and rear. Bet you could find a Youtube video. The backs are really easy. The fronts should only be a little harder.

I put the boots on. Always have. Never had a problem. But I dont do any serious mudding, 4 wheelin either.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah sounds easy enough now. I don't go that hard either. I've seen the majority of shocks w/ their boots on.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: Got em all done today along with an oil change. I didnt have air tools so I was crushin nuckels for a bit on those front shocks so I was glad to find out everything was as easy as everyone said.

As far as driving goes, I set them on one on the fronts and rears and it felt awesome driving around town. The difference I could tell was how 'together or strong the whole truck felt". Previously I kinda would felt I was using a couple toothpicks as shocks in the rears. Then I went and adjusted both the fronts and rears to 4 and I could instantly tell the difference driving. Obviously it was a lot stiffer. I'll be playing with them for the next couple of days. I appreciate you guys telling me your settings as i'll be trying each and every option i'm sure.

One more thing, I had this weird reloading/compression sound in my rear end everytime I went over a big dip. Now I still have that slight noise occurring. I can also get the sound to resurface when I stand on the tailgate and jump up and down. Any idea what that could be guys?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts