Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LBZ
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘06 has a rattle at about 1000 RPMs. I’ve only noticed this after swapping out a cracked number 6 piston (Didn’t pull motor). I checked my balance rates and all seems good, original injectors 173k miles. But during my search I noticed that a bolt on the bottom passenger side of the bell housing was backing it’s way out. I tightened it but still have the rattle. I’ve only noticed the noise while the truck is warm and I have no lights or codes. Help

· Registered
1,144 Posts
So my '06 has a rattle too, right about 1200rpm's that I haven't been able to identify. It only occurs at that RPM range, and while under load (can't replicate it while in park at 1200rpm) and is now starting to get worse. I'm guessing it's either a heat shield rattling/vibrating or perhaps a crack in one of the corrugated metal pipes for the exhaust?

Here's a video to show it (have to turn volume up a bit to hear) You can faintly hear the squeaking sound throughout, but the most obvious points are at 25 seconds, 3:23, and right when I shut down the truck at 3:58.

· Registered
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LBZ
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my '06 has a rattle too, right about 1200rpm's that I haven't been able to identify. It only occurs at that RPM range, and while under load (can't replicate it while in park at 1200rpm) and is now starting to get worse. I'm guessing it's either a heat shield rattling/vibrating or perhaps a crack in one of the corrugated metal pipes for the exhaust?

Here's a video to show it (have to turn volume up a bit to hear) You can faintly hear the squeaking sound throughout, but the most obvious points are at 25 seconds, 3:23, and right when I shut down the truck at 3:58.
Right at the end of your video is exactly what I hear. It’s mildly alarming but I haven’t had any other symptoms. Let me know if you come across anything

· Registered
1,144 Posts
Right at the end of your video is exactly what I hear. It’s mildly alarming but I haven’t had any other symptoms. Let me know if you come across anything
Yeah I have no other symptoms other than the noise. It has to be an exhaust leak, or loose heat shield etc. I just bought a bunch of fluids and filters and will be doing a full service on my truck in the coming weeks and plan to take some time during that work to see if I can look into it some more. I will absolutely post back up if I find anything.

Reactions: bartlcol000
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.