Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 silverado and it has a pretty bad diesel smell at idle. You can smell it all around the truck and especially under the hood. There is no white smoking coming from the exhaust and the truck smells whether it's warm or cold. What would be causing this smell?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Have you checked your rates on your injectors to see if there dumping excess fuel bc there goin bad?? When the last time you change fuel filter did you tighten it down? Check fuel lines and around cp3 to see if it's wet

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked your rates on your injectors to see if there dumping excess fuel bc there goin bad?? When the last time you change fuel filter did you tighten it down? Check fuel lines and around cp3 to see if it's wet

No I haven't done any of that. I just bought the truck from a Chevrolet dealer. It runs fine and has no smoke, just smells like diesel when it's sitting. How do I check if I have fuel in my oil? Where exactly is the cp3?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Follow the fuel line from the top of the tank it will run into cp3. Usually you can pull the dipstick and see it in the oil. I'm new to duramax too but had a cummins forever. But I'd bet injectors are going bad.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Oh yea and dealerships are stealerships they won't tell u if injectors are bad or nothing wrong just want the money.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow the fuel line from the top of the tank it will run into cp3. Usually you can pull the dipstick and see it in the oil. I'm new to duramax too but had a cummins forever. But I'd bet injectors are going bad.

Well it doesn't have any leaks that I can see. The oil looks clean and smells like used oil. Are bad injectors the only thing that would cause that strong diesel smell? The exhaust smells so bad and the smell is very strong when standing by the exhaust. Is there any way I can test the oil to see if there is diesel in it?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I honestly don't know bout the test. You could ask a local mechanic but I would check injectors I'm about positive it is. They go bad and dump fuel like that does it have a haze not smoke but like a haze of fuel coming from exhaust idling

·
Registered
636 Posts
Check the down pipe. It may be loose. My lbz smells pretty strong too but haven't found anything causing it. But was told if the downpipe is loose you'll really have a strong smell

·
Registered
778 Posts
True check it but It's also coming out pipe to he said. So idk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the down pipe and it's not loose. The exhaust has absolutely no haze or anything. I can't believe chevy dealers will sell trucks knowing the injectors are bad but say everything is good. I just got the truck and the oil was just changed so maybe I need to wait longer and see if there is fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would get it looked at befor I drove it too much or get left stranded. Hopefully be a quick easy fix

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will any shop be able to check the injectors?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Preferably a shop that is known for working on diesels

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help

·
Registered