Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2015 Denali and the factory fuel filter had been deleted. The truck has a fass lift pump but I want to add the stock fuel filter back just for extra protection.

My question is how hard will this be and what all will I need? is it as simple as just putting the filter back on?

Thanks

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Depends on how they went about deleting it.
Is the filter base still there and they installed a metal can filter substitute?
Or removed the base altogether?
Or left the base as is and used a double end hose barb to connect the two lines, bypassing the filter base?

Whatever method, it's fairly easy to return, some ways easier than others.

Registered
If you are going to do that you may also want to look into the relocation kits to make it easy on yourself later on.

Premium Member
They might have removed the spring and ball check in housing its self, I pulled it out in mine.

Premium Member
Hope this helps

Attachments

Premium Member
To get the extra filtration and have the advantage of a water in fuel warning.

Premium Member
I put the water float in the bottom of my filter delete, someone was really lazy if they didnt put it in yours. Plus you'll have to buy one now to go in your filter.

Registered
I deleted my Racor when I added the FASS. Then as I learned more about the LML and CP4, I thought better of it and reinstalled the Racor. Can't have too much filtration on the LML. The filters on the FASS save your Racor so you can run it longer so it's not that big a deal anymore.

Premium Member
To get the extra filtration and have the advantage of a water in fuel warning.
I hear you but with the water separator on the FASS, if you get a water in fuel warning up by the engine, by then you'll have real issues.... Also the filter micron on the FASS (also you can go up or down in microns) is pretty significant...

Good luck in whatever you end up with

Premium Member
I hear you but with the water separator on the FASS, if you get a water in fuel warning up by the engine, by then you'll have real issues.... Also the filter micron on the FASS (also you can go up or down in microns) is pretty significant...

Good luck in whatever you end up with
Just using an experience to enlighten the fact that the filter systems can be overwhelmed with one batch of bad fuel as we had that happen and feel that if we didn't still have the stock filter with the WIF in place that alerted us that we in fact had water that went through the fass system and ended up alerting us to the problem. We feel that that warning may have saved the CP4 pump on the 2011 and it was caught with no damage, maybe we were lucky maybe not but still am glad we had it there. Just putting the extra info out there for everyone.

Registered
If the previous owner did the filter delete that FASS offers then the stock stuff is all in place and then a spin on billet aluminum bowl is in place of the factory filter. Like Jwaggonersr stated they would have also deleted the spring and check ball also. The FASS delete still uses the water indicator and it screws into the bottom of the delete bowl. I did this on my 08 LMM. The factory location sucks to get to. You have to remove the passenger front wheel well liner to get to it for replacement. Not sure how it is on you LML. When I installed my FASS 95 I (at first) left the stock filter in place. This was mainly to make sure anything that I disturbed fuel wise could not let any debris get past the stock filter. After a couple of weeks I then did the FASS filter delete. Many leave the stock filter in place. The FASS fuel filter has a better micron rating that what is offered on the stock filters and I also wanted to use the 1/8th plug that is part of the delete bowl to install a adjustable fuel pressure switch. I adjusted the switch to 6 psi. I used the pressure switch to make a ground for an LED post light that I installed on the dash. The power comes from the FASS relay that powers the lift pump. The FASS pump puts out about 8 to 10 psi, mine sits right at 8 psi. With that circuit completed I now had something to monitor if the lift pump stopped running or if the filter was now starting to clog where the fuel pressure would drop under a heavy load. Also a great indicator when it gets really cold to see if the fuel is starting to gell. I used to check the valve on the bottom of the FASS water separator, I have never gotten any water out of it. I live in MO and have been fortunate to not have any issues with water in my area. Dean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts