Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legennn... wait for it...
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it's been quite some time since I've run a truck with aftermarket aluminum wheels, but I do remember that after you've had a wheel off and back on, the lugs need re-torquing. Can anybody tell me how many miles I need to run off before I do that?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I've always heard 50-100 miles as a general rule of thumb w/ aluminum wheels

·
Legennn... wait for it...
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, thanks! It's 54 miles one way to my terminal, I'll throw a screwdriver for the center cap and a 4-way for the lugs in the truck and get them before I drive home.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Dont forget to use a torque wrench!! Aluminum wheels will warp and your rotors will be screwed up if they arent torqued properly. 100 ft/lbs is usually the norm.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
you can only warp a rotor if you use a high power air gun and the torque is 135 to 140. and the only time you need to retorque a wheel is if it was new one after 50 to 100 miles

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Ive never retorqued just put a snap on 1/2 impact on it and hit it til it just about stops moving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dont forget to use a torque wrench!! Aluminum wheels will warp and your rotors will be screwed up if they arent torqued properly. 100 ft/lbs is usually the norm.
100 ft/lbs is fine for a steel wheel, but most aftermarket alloys should be torqued to 140ft/lbs then retorqued after 60 miles/100 kms.
The torquing sequence should be in a criss-cross pattern - I always go around each wheel twice to ensure that each lug is evenly torqued.
Having a wheel come loose or off is an expensive pain in the a$$.

·
Registered
263 Posts
the tire shore i do bussiness with always torques your wheels down. me i hit them with a air gub and let them go. factory or aftermarket

1 - 9 of 9 Posts