Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basically I am not expierienced in diesels but I can make a 700 hp gas motor pretty easily

I am thinking of doing a diesel hotrod and for me to want to do this I want over 700 hp what needs to be done of what combination of things need to be done to achieve this

As with anyone I would like to do this cheap but I know hp cost dollars

where are the breaking points on these motors to where you have to start building the bottom end rods pistons studs ect or can this be achived on a stock head/bottom with the correct mods and tuning

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
looks like you will need a motor build, buiilt transmission head studs lift pump might need duel fuelers, need turbo, over 550hp in these trucks you gotta pay to play. your prolly looking at 15k+ for 700hp duramax

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
you could prolly get away with just doing rods, then of course all the supporting mods such as turbo, pumps, etc.

no guarantee how long itll live at 700 with just rods but should do ok

that is only if you are on a budget, if not then do a full build.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
rods with cut and coated pistons, wicked pump, s400 turbo, headstuds efi live. the breaking point is around 650hp. the rods like to snap around that level

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
theres guys that have gone a little over 800 on stock internals, but not for long. contact henry with creatures of the night performance and tell him you need an engine build kit and what your goals are with the engine

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Stock LB7 rods with start to hate you at around 550 to 575 area.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
theres guys that have gone a little over 800 on stock internals, but not for long. contact henry with creatures of the night performance and tell him you need an engine build kit and what your goals are with the engine

I'm not sure I have seen anyone push a LB7 like that. I like the diesels more then my gassers now that i'm not even going to finish putting my built 400 bowtie into my car. C18 cost way to much money these days diesel is alot cheaper and I can drive the car more if I do Dmax in the old girl.:drink

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I'm not sure I have seen anyone push a LB7 like that. I like the diesels more then my gassers now that i'm not even going to finish putting my built 400 bowtie into my car. C18 cost way to much money these days diesel is alot cheaper and I can drive the car more if I do Dmax in the old girl.:drink
it was an lmm

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
Do you need 700hp to get into the 9s?

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
I have no idea, I started looking for one video and found these instead. You might message them.

There is a car running 10s or 11s with stock dmax and EFI tune.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
to start im going to fab my own exhaust manifolds and the pipeing and I should free up some power there lift pump efi live boost valve and maybe a meth kit its nice when I have someone that owes me a few favors and has a cnc waterjet

I am definately going to have fun and will most likely pick up another block after I get it to where I want it and start really building the second block

I plan to compete as much as possible and show the car so it would be badass to pick up a sponsor and represent the Dmaxes out there

1 - 20 of 33 Posts