Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently pull a 30ft trailer with an equalizer hitch and it doesn't pull bad but it squats the truck a little and if you hit a bump at freeway speeds it bounces a little more than I like. So my question is who has pulled with and without them and if I put them on will I see much difference?

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I know this won't answer you question exactly, but I use timbren overload cushions and they work awesome. I prefer them over airbags myself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had air bags on my half ton. They are well worth the money if you are towing.
Have you leveled your truck? Nick at Nor-Cal is the man. I am saving for my stage 4 level and some bags.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Timbren SES Kits - Suspension Enhancement for your Vehicle

I like them because as soon as you remove the trailer or load from the back, the cushions come off of the axle so that you maintain your factory ride. In a nutshell, they just replace your factory bump stops in the rear and replaces them with Much larger bump stops that sit an inch or 2 off of the rear axle until you put a load on the rear of the vehicle. They work much like airbags at that point, but I think they hold the load a little better IMO. They make them for the front also. A ton of guys around here use them on trucks that they put plows on so that they don't sag in the fron as bad with the plow up.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have made up my own Air Bags and they work great for me. I do not use the equalizer bars on my trailer hitch.

IMG_0052.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
shocks control the bounce try some adjustable shocks like rancho 9000
air bags and or overloads are more for controlling your ride height and weight capacity

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ive have towed with,and w/out them and feel they are worth it 99.5% of the bounce is gone, the only bitch is they are a little harsh with out some thing on or in the back.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I likewise had air bags on a half ton truck... they were awesome at leveling out the truck when hitched to a 28 ft TT- I have now gone to a 2500 Durmax and pull a 30 ft 5'r. So far, I have not needed to add air bags on the DMax but I will no doubt consider them again if the need arises. Air bags get my vote :gearjamin

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
i will never tow without them again! I have Pacbrake bags and i love them! keeps me leveled and in control. Also no equalizer hitch at all when i pull.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've towed with & without...definately worth the money...Takes the bounce out & levels the truck...I used Firestone...here's a few pics

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have firestone ride rites and I love em . Wouldn't want to tow without em now .
My truck doesn't squat and it rides better .

·
Registered
470 Posts
& your headlights aren't pointing in the air

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have the Firestone Ride Rites too, and I tow between my 35' Montana Fifth wheel, a 25' stock trailer, and a 17' boat. I have to say that I will never tow anything again without them. And, not like a previous poster, I dont feel they make it too rough on the rear end. As long as you deflate them when your not towing, then you arent using the airbags for your suspension. I highly suggest getting the pump with them so you dont have to air them up manually everytime you go to tow something.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I put Firestone bags on mine. They made a big difference when pulling my gooseneck. After installing I realized I should have added them sooner. I do wish I had the on board compressor & in cab controls but that can be added later.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I just put the airlift bags on mine and they made a lot of difference! I towed a 20ft bumperpull to colorado and back and it made the ride so much better. So airbags get my vote, they are also easy to install

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate everybody's feedback, I will research all the recommendations given and make a decision on what I think will work best for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I use firestone bags. work great.:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts