Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fixing to do a complete rear brake overhaul on my 2008 3500 dually this weekend. Ive read on previous threads that the older trucks use the 6 point specialty socket, does the 2008 use the same socket or a large standard 6/12 point? For some reason im thinking its a 36mm? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Subd

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump! Anyone know?

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Found this thread over on DP - yes, the DRWs are different than 2500 or their 3500 SRW counterpart.

Tips on doing Dually Brakes - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

FYI, this is the spindle nut socket i have for my 2006 SRW 1ton. Should be the same for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UWW64/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And just found this post with a PDF with a how-to on a 2004. 2008 should be similar. You will need a DP login to download the PDF -- i can message the PDF to you if necessary.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...ally-trucks/332151-dually-rear-brake-how.html

I'd replace the axle oil seal while you're in there too. Don't forget the axle gasket (or RTV in a pinch).

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im fixing to do a complete rear brake overhaul on my 2008 3500 dually this weekend. Ive read on previous threads that the older trucks use the 6 point specialty socket, does the 2008 use the same socket or a large standard 6/12 point? For some reason im thinking its a 36mm? Thanks!
I know this answer is many years to late, however for people reading this thread now, this answer should be of some benefit: You don't need any socket of any type to remove the axle nut, all you need is a screwdriver and perhaps a few light taps with a hammer to remove it (the installed torque of the nut is 0 FT-LBS as per the GM shop manual). In fact you don't even need a socket and torque wrench to adjust the bearing to the EXACT factory spec, again all you need is a screwdriver and a few light taps with a hammer. I have made a video that proves this empirically. In the video I adjust one wheel with the factory procedure using a torque wrench and 2-5/8" 6 pin socket and mark the final key way position. Then I loosen the axle nut and pull back on the hub to totally eliminate the adjustment and and adjust the bearing with just a screwdriver and a few light taps with a hammer. Both procedures come to the same mark. And just to prove reliability (and you don't need 52 FT LBS to seat the inner seal or roller bearings) I repeat the procedure on the other side except I use the screwdriver technique first and again come to exactly the same mark. Here is a link to the video;

1 - 6 of 6 Posts