Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change out the parking brake assembly so I need to remove the axle/hub. The manual calls for a
Axle Hub Nut Socket CH-49794. After looking for hours and hours the best I can find is a socket for sale for $135 ea (Im canadian so I'll end up paying over $200 plus shipping for one socket!).

Is there a universal socket that works? I can't imagine that every person who removed their rear hub over the last 9 years have all spent $135+ . I can't even find the socket at napa, mac, canadian tire, auto value etc. The nut is a 6 slot - I see lots of universal 6 pin axle nut sockets but none of them mention fitting 2011 GMC 2500 rear axle but list a whole ton of other compatible vehicles.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Many auto parts stores 'rent' these tools. You purchase a tool, use it for a couple of days, and return it and your money is refunded. See if your local stores have such an offer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately the two major parts stores I called wouldn't rent me tools - for covid-19 reasons they've suspended their rental programs. But they also didn't have that particular socket anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not that one. It's a 9 pin (which I believe is socket for truck newer than 2015)
But I found one similar on Amazon (it doesn't look exactly like the proper socket but for the price I might try it. The description doesn't include any newer models but it's the most common universal one I'm seeing. I can't find any info on dimensions for the actual retainer nut so not sure if a universal will fit.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Spindle-...K84CK9J0759&psc=1&refRID=2E8ME2C1NK84CK9J0759

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, hammer and punch. Get it done.
Fair enough. That's how trailer hubs are done. Tighten the nut just a bit until the wheel can't move than back it off.

I read somewhere (on this site I think) that hitting the proper torque was important- which is why I was searching out the socket.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turns out that the axle nut is a 9 slot with 3 protruding pins/tabs. So realistically the correct socket probably looked like a 2&5/8" with three 3/8" notches cut into it. Or it may be machined perfectly to fit the 9 slots between the protruding pins and the axle. Who knows- pain in the ass!

It was sloppy but the 6pin socket that I mentioned above (from Amazon) worked. I was able to carefully hit the required torque to seat the seal/bearings with the help of a friend rotating the hub.

·
Premium Member
2012 3500 hd srw
393 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what worked. So many never post out come.

·
Registered
2006 Silverado 3500 6.6L LBZ SRW CrewCab Long box. Lots of Km.
4 Posts
Turns out that the axle nut is a 9 slot with 3 protruding pins/tabs. So realistically the correct socket probably looked like a 2&5/8" with three 3/8" notches cut into it. Or it may be machined perfectly to fit the 9 slots between the protruding pins and the axle. Who knows- pain in the ass!

It was sloppy but the 6pin socket that I mentioned above (from Amazon) worked. I was able to carefully hit the required torque to seat the seal/bearings with the help of a friend rotating the hub.

think it's the same nut for 2006 lbz 14 bolts differential?
i just ordered it to try it out. garage just gave me an estimate of 2000+ CAD to fix the parking break on one side. screw that!. ugh...

·
Registered
544 Posts

I think it was around $12, whole rack of different ones at Advance Auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that is the one I got from Advance also. It did the job but did not seat very well until I filed down some of the tabs to get it to fit right. No biggie, it did what I needed it to do. Dean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts