Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 2500 HD.
I thought my front axle was stuck in 4 low as the truck was hard to move when steering wheel was at full lock. Today I backed up on gravel with the door open and I could hear and see the drivers back wheel chugging as it backed up with steering wheel at full lock, plus the truck would not move until put some power into it. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
07 2500 HD.
I thought my front axle was stuck in 4 low as the truck was hard to move when steering wheel was at full lock. Today I backed up on gravel with the door open and I could hear and see the drivers back wheel chugging as it backed up with steering wheel at full lock, plus the truck would not move until put some power into it. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thank you.
What makes you think you have a rear differential problem? Sounds like the transfer case is failing to disengage the front driveshaft (I'm assuming you're having this issue after shifting back into 2WD, otherwise...that's pretty much how it's supposed to behave).

Can you clarify what you mean by "chugging"?

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
If you have the steering all torqued up in a turn it won't shift out of 4WD. Found that out the hard way on the '13 I had. Once I straightened out the steering and rolled a bit it slipped right out and back in just like it is supposed to do.

I think by chugging he means the wheel is trying to slip like a solid one piece axle will do on an inside wheel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
With the truck in park and off, crawl under it and try to spin the front driveshaft by hand. It will spin freely if the truck is in 2WD and the transfer case is disengaged. If you can't spin it, truck is in 4wd. If you confirm the truck is in 2wd and the rear end is still binding up you are probably correct that something in the rear axle has failed and will need gone through or replaced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As sambor said it is like our drag car with a spool which locks both axles together and one wheel is forced to turn at a different speed than when unlocked. Chugging is what I could think of but there may well be a more technical term.:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xerobytez, front driveshaft did not turn. Removed the connector at solenoid and cleaned everything and now it works, 2 wheel drive again and not chugging of rear wheels.

Thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
xerobytez, front driveshaft did not turn. Removed the connector at solenoid and cleaned everything and now it works, 2 wheel drive again and not chugging of rear wheels.

Thanks all for your help.
Glad to hear you got it straightened out!

·
Premium Member
2012 3500 hd srw
395 Posts
And thank you for letting us know what worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.