Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yesterday i noticed while turning that the truck squels and drags one tire when going around a turn like the rear is locked up? what could it be it disengages some times and turns with out an issue but some times and makes so weird noises especially when backing up. popped the plug fluid was moderately low. would changing the fluid possible miraculous solve this issue and prevent high dollar rebuilding the diff?

seperate thing that was happening before was when i pull up to a red light and go to pull out of the light the truck in the drive line somewhere bucks slightly and it feels like someone bumped my bumper. checked the u joints and they are tight seems like there is slop somewhere? maybe a tranny mount or something in the rear(possibly related over time with the new issue), leafspring bushings?

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
i would say they are related should pop the cover and make sure theres nothing sitting in the bottom

·
Registered
213 Posts
I know in the case of positraction type rear ends if you put the wrong gear lube in (non
locking gear lube) the rear end makes all sorts of noise. This is reversable; putting the correct gear lube in makes things right again. Doesn't sound like what you have going on here, since you didn't mention adding or changing the oil but thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
posi traction was blown apart took it to a diff repair shop 2100! ouch most expensive burnout yet! the guy said the aftermarket one he is putting in is 3x stronger and is replacing all the bearing and everything but the gears in there because he said their in great shape.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The "BUMP" when you take off is usually caused by the driveshaft slip yoke. GM uses some grease on the splines that gets hard and sticky. The Fix is to remove the drive shaft and clean and relube the splines at the support bearing-- this is for a two piece shaft- If it is a single shaft, GM has a nickel plated yoke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts