Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've always paid someone to change mine but that would be kinda dumb now that I have a shop with a 2 post lift.

So what are you guys using?

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
You don't need a lift to change the diff fluid. Drain plug on bottom, fill with 3.5qts syn 75w-90.
No need to remove the diff cover.

I've used Mob-1 and currently running Schaeffer's.

Registered
If hes got a lift why not use it? Mobil 1 here too though.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
I've watched the Dealer service it.....pouring in bottles of Mob-1

Premium Member
Used Mobil Delvac 75w-90 synthetic. 12.5 pints. I have a small handpump that fits in the jugs.

Registered
Not sure if there is any difference in requirements between a regular diff and the G80 option. I know the G80 option (Z71 and such) use the 75w-90 synthetic. I used the Mobil 1 stuff with a cheap hand pump that you find at the local auto store. Worked really well for that and the transfer case. I bought two of those pumps since the transfer case uses tranny fluid. Dean

Registered
That is what I LOVE about a 2500. DRAIN PLUGS on everything!!!

Registered
Have used Mobil 1 75-90 for years. Easy with the hand pump.

Registered
I use Redline Shockproof Heavy gear oil. The Heavy can be rated as a 75W250 Gear Oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of a 75W90 oil. Only the best?

Registered
The differential fluids are probably the easiest fluids to change on the truck. The front differential drain plug is on the front of the case cover. The rear differential drain plug is on the very bottom of the case. Drive the truck for a few miles to warm up the fluid prior to draining. I didn't jack up the truck at all. I used Lucas Synthetic 75W90. I bought two gallons and there is some left over. Harbor Freight has the perfect manual fluid pump that screws onto the top of the fluid bottle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Why I never did it before- when I had to crawl under it? Too fat and lazy...

Looks like Mobil 1 75w-90 is the right stuff. Capacity? 12.5 pints?

Thanks guys!

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Dang, just did a quick search. Amazon lists a gallon of Delvac 1 for $65. Summit has the same stuff for $36 - of course you have to pay shipping.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
I grabbed some from the local Kenworth shop, wasn't much different than the Summit....and no shipping.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts