Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok to my surprise using my vin number for trying to find out what transfer case fluid to use (Auto- Track 2 ) according to the dealer the diff has a govenor in it. I was going to use amzoil severe gear but not sure now. Truck is still under warrenty should I use GM fluid? I can get a good price on the GM fluid just thinking change it every 2 years (have new deep diff pan installed which makes for easy service.)

Thoughts

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm running amsoil severe gear 75w-90 in both my diffs

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
As long as the gear lube is a GL-5 75W-90 youre good to go. You could also go with a GL-5 75W-140 gear lube if you tow/ haul heavy often.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Amsoil if your going to change it IMO.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
At the Dealer, I've only ever seen Mobile-1 from their Parts Dept carried over to the shop for Differential Service. :cool:

·
Vendor
10,973 Posts
AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90 for the diffs and AMSOIL Torque Drive for the transfer case.

You will need about 6 qts of fluid to do both front and rear diff and about 2 qts for the transfer case. It wouldn't void the warranty. GM can not specify a specific brand of fluid only a specific viscosity or API rating.

If I can be of assistance with pricing on AMSOIL fluids, don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
I just switched the farm to running Chevron Delo in everything now. Good products, you don't hear about them much in consumer vehicles though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you need to add any additive to the diff if you use amsoil severe gear.

Thanks

·
Vendor
10,973 Posts

Thanks
No sir. I have had 4 yrs worth of customers buying Severe Gear 75W-90 and no one to date has had to add any additives to Severe Gear.

If I can help you with pricing or more information, please let me know.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Most all GL-5 gear lubes iv seen already has a FM/LS additive mixed in already.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Thanks
Check your owners manual - it specifies what is required for any fluid in your truck. No guess work here.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Changed mine today at 15,000 miles with mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 had no issues, but man it was dirty.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Mitchell1 OnDemand says 75W-90 synthetic in the front and rear differential and Dex 3 or 6 ATF in the transfercase depending on what year you have.

although i just did my pump rub fix today and drained out my transfercase fluid which i use 3qt Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic engine oil and it was still as clean as the day i put it in 35k miles ago and i actually put the fluid back in just because.

note: auto trak 2 is only for 1/2 ton vehicles with the awd option

1 - 13 of 13 Posts