Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just bought a 2002 chevy 2500 HD with the Duramax 6.6 and the Allison Transmision. I notice that when I leave a dead stop and start to move forward in Drive I'm feeling and hearing a pretty good jolt from the rear end. The shifting is super smooth and quiet but the something seems strange in the rear end. The Chevy dealership's sevice department is telling me this is a common characteristic in this truck with this powertrain. Wondering what you think before I pursue a 2nd. opinion.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
55 Posts
sounds normal to me. :eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm new to both this forum and Duramax/Chev. I just bought an 02 K3500 CC,LB,w/36K miles. I have not noticed such a rear end noise, clunk, or gear slack. The only time anything similar happens is when shifting the Allison into gear, then it's not a clunk, just a lurch against the brakes. Differential gear setup is exacting and if not performed with precision, either the gears will whine, clunk, growl, well you get the idea. Kinda like never buy a car built on Friday or Monday thing- well perhaps you guys are too young to remember those days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
welcome to dmaxforum ray!..and yes im too young to remember...lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pull the driveshaft and lube the spines, noise will go away.

·
Registered
85 Posts
David Kott said:
Hey guys. I just bought a 2002 chevy 2500 HD with the Duramax 6.6 and the Allison Transmision. I notice that when I leave a dead stop and start to move forward in Drive I'm feeling and hearing a pretty good jolt from the rear end. The shifting is super smooth and quiet but the something seems strange in the rear end. The Chevy dealership's sevice department is telling me this is a common characteristic in this truck with this powertrain. Wondering what you think before I pursue a 2nd. opinion.

Thanks guys.
Does that '02 have the one piece aluminum telephone pole under there?

If you have the two piece you may need to upgrade (if in warranty) there was a bulletin out that addressed this... "launch shudder" or like Aketay said lube those splines...

aketay said:
Pull the driveshaft and lube the spines, noise will go away.
You took the words right outta my mouth Tony... :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same thing happenning with my truck too only mine does it when I stop then let up off the brakes. Could it be the the spring shackle rubber is wore out?

Mine feels like the rear end gear is missing teeth and it seems to be getting worse.:confused:

Also seems like the transmission is slipping, how can you tell if it is or not?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I'm having the same thing happenning with my truck too only mine does it when I stop then let up off the brakes. Could it be the the spring shackle rubber is wore out?

Mine feels like the rear end gear is missing teeth and it seems to be getting worse.:confused:

Also seems like the transmission is slipping, how can you tell if it is or not?
You are feeling the dreaded "GM STOP CLUNK" GM actually makes a spacial lube, but I have found just cleaning the splines really good, and putting a good wheel bearing grease will cure it for about a year. Then you get to do it all over again:rockin

·
Registered
527 Posts
Great Posts Guys Ive Been Trying To Figure This Out Also!

·
Registered
2 Posts
When your talking about spline's do you mean take the drive shaft out and lube it there? or do you mean the rear end?

I'm going to replace the spring shackle bushing to see if that might stop it, because mine look bad.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The Spine That Goes Into The Tranny And At The Carrier Bearing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
:booboomine also has the same problem which i am goin to try to graese and fix tommarow without sucessfully f..ing up my truck but yeah i have that same problem also i can rock my truck back and forth in park and it makes that nasty thump in the transfer case im guessin the grease wont fix that

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
What you need to do is remove the cover and look. It only takes 1/2 hour total to remove it and look at everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2005 2500HD 6.6 and the other day it felt like my rear end moved when I took off . So when I was changing oil in that day I measered the distance from the tire to the fender and had 31/2" on on the pass side and 4" on the drivers side. any thoughs.

ps. would that cause a vibration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2005 2500Hd 6.6 and the other week I felt the rear end move. So when i changed the oil I measered the distance from the tire to the fender and had 3 1/2" on the pass side and 4" on the drvers side. What might that be from.

ps would that cause a vibration .

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
The problem on a two piece driveshaft, is usually the splines, where the two driveshafts connect together. The GM grease gets sticky and will not allow the parts to slide freely. So when you come to a stop, the rear axle will slide forward possible 1/2 inch, then when you take off, the rear axle moves back, and pulls the driveshaft, -- when it pulls enough, you get a bump kinda like some bumped into the back.

Remove the driveshaft, separate the two pieces [make note of how they are indexed together] clean the splines and relube and assemble the parts as they were.

GM makes a nickel plated yoke for the single shaft- that is suppose to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem on a two piece driveshaft, is usually the splines, where the two driveshafts connect together. The GM grease gets sticky and will not allow the parts to slide freely. So when you come to a stop, the rear axle will slide forward possible 1/2 inch, then when you take off, the rear axle moves back, and pulls the driveshaft, -- when it pulls enough, you get a bump kinda like some bumped into the back.

Remove the driveshaft, separate the two pieces [make note of how they are indexed together] clean the splines and relube and assemble the parts as they were.

GM makes a nickel plated yoke for the single shaft- that is suppose to help.
Its a new driveshaft and it a single . Would the leaf springs do it ? I have been chasing this vibration for 3 years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts