Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I have a 2008 3500hd. When I let off the gas it makes a awful roar. Acts if I am hitting the brake. I noticed it started leaking oil around the driveshaft today as well. When I hit the throttle it all goes away. When you are getting close to stopping it acts if it is hanging on something. It will almost lock up. Best way of fixing this or is just time to find a new rear end?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Probably going to need a rebuild by the way you are describing it. I would drain the fluid and see what it looks like.

Reactions: Mhmmiller

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Sounds like you have a pinion bearing going which could cause the leak and noise you’re seeing/hearing. The ring and pinion gears may also be damaged due to the bad pinion bearings. Time for some rear end work.

Reactions: Mhmmiller

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. I have a 2003 rear axle laying to the side. Would it not be easier to do a axle swap? If so will they interchange? I have been trying to do some research. But I can not find if they are the same rear end or not.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Okay. I have a 2003 rear axle laying to the side. Would it not be easier to do a axle swap? If so will they interchange? I have been trying to do some research. But I can not find if they are the same rear end or not.
Let me get this right, you want to swap out a worn out 2015 axle for a much older 2003 axle?

The weight rating on the older one is not nearly what it is on the 15 and it sounds like a VERY short term fix to me.

Pull the axles, drop the drive shaft, pull the pumpkin and have it rebuilt. Take that opportunity to check all the axle bearings and seal, U joints and hanger bearing on the DS as well. Reinstall in reverse order.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Let me get this right, you want to swap out a worn out 2015 axle for a much older 2003 axle?

The weight rating on the older one is not nearly what it is on the 15 and it sounds like a VERY short term fix to me.

Pull the axles, drop the drive shaft, pull the pumpkin and have it rebuilt. Take that opportunity to check all the axle bearings and seal, U joints and hanger bearing on the DS as well. Reinstall in reverse order.
His first post says the truck is a 2008. IIRC, they should be the same (2003-2008) as long as they both came out of trucks with Duramaxes and they are both build for the same rear wheel configuration (SRW vs DRW).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank y’all. I will just do a rear end swap. That way I can get it back on the road. I will rebuild the one I pull when I get time. It has 302xxx miles on it. So I am sure it is needing pretty much everything. Also. I have a 2008 not a 2015. And the 2003 rear end has only 120xxx miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts