Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out if something is wrong with my rear end or if it's a different type. I am totally ignorant of what or how it works but if I get stuck in mud or on ice only one tire spins and the other does not engage. If I launch really hard and it breaks traction or if I burn out it's always only one tire, it gets annoying lol. I have a 2001 2500 with a 6.0 that does not do the same thing, it seems like it is always locked in. I have been told that it is a posi ( not sure if that's true or not). I would just like for both tires to spin when I need them to. Any help or suggestions would be a great help and sorry if this is a dumb post

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
check glove box for rpo code g80. this is the factory gm locker. if u have that then something is wrong. if you dont see it then all is good....well in a one wheel peel kinda way.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
The G80 locker isn't impressive and it sounds like it broke.

I'd look for alternative aftermarket rebuild options though.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The G80 locker isn't impressive and it sounds like it broke.

I'd look for alternative aftermarket rebuild options though.
What would guys recommend as a good option? And who makes them?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, who carries them? Is there some way to make the rear lock in so I can make sure it is broken or is it pretty much gone? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
jack the rear axle up spin one tire if they both spin the same way broke opposite still ok i think

most venders on here can get the grizzly locker

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
do a burnout thats how you tell, if it one wheels, your locker is toast.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! I think I'm just gonna get a grizzly, they are pricey but I think it's worth it

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Make sure you do some research on it. Some folks are put off by the noises it makes. It's not silent going around corners and what not.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^do you think it would be louder than my 5 inch straight pipe? Are there any other options?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was told by a family friend that all 2500hd & 3500 trucks that came with the duramax were equipped with the g80 as a factory package. Although my 2001 2500hd does not have the g80. "one tire fryers" do suck lol.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Make sure you do some research on it. Some folks are put off by the noises it makes. It's not silent going around corners and what not.
Very true; make sure you know what you're getting into. by far the strongest thing out there besides a spool, great warranty and the only one out there with a collateral damage warranty, even for competition. They will, however, bang, clunk, ratchet, and overall make some grumpy noises. but for all out brute strength and automatic traction to BOTH tires, you can't lose.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have the same issue! Only my right tire spins out of traction. I want to fix that!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts