Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Last weekend I towed my 26 ft. camping trailer aprox 7200lbs.. (First time w/this truck) Power was great but the suspension left a little to be desired. Going over the Oregon coast range the road is quite rough in places. It almost bucked me off the road in a few spots. Has anyone had to put heavier shocks on the rear? I already have air bags on the pickup. Also the EZ lift hitch and bars were on and in the correct position. :help

thanks
jason

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I don't know about heavier shocks, but I replaced my stock shocks with bilsteins...the ride has been improved over stock set-up.

·
Registered
262 Posts
yah bilstein has a tow series shock you might want to look into

·
Registered
484 Posts
Bilstiens provide a very nice ride. Another popular shock it the Rancho RS9000's because they have a clicker adjustment to make them softer or stiffer as needed. You can also get an in cab unit that controls this so you don't have to crawl under the truck to adjust them. They are really nice on the pulling track and under a load, but I believe for running empty on the highway that a Bilstien is a better riding shock.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just installed the rancho's, I really like them better than the bilsteins I just took off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the truck into the dealership on Thursday... I wanted to have the first oil change and the trans filter done. I also asked them to take a look at the rear shocks while they had it. Well they had no trouble taking the $194.00 for the service. But they said that my ride would be bad because I have turned the t bars up. I informed the guy that it was not a rough ride I was complaining about, it in fact was when I had the trailer on the back, the shocks would not control it. I asked if he took them off and looked at them. No. We jumped up and down on the back... It's fine. Went home. Took me 10 minutes to get the tools and take the shocks off.:mad: As I suspected, the right rear shock had little to no resistance or rebound. Friday morning first thing, took the truck back into the shop. Put the shock in the guys hand. " Does this look like a good shock to you"? Um... well no. They replaced the rear shocks. The shop foreman was still stating the fact that they were doing me a favor by changing them out. Because I had altered the truck.:blowup
Sorry guys, just venting.... You spend this kind of money on a truck, I don't even mind about the parts coming off the line bad, just fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts