Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to replace a rear speed sensor on my LML. The old one was in pretty good with rust and I had to remove the rotor and pound it out. Upon trying to insert the new part, it was really hard to get in and had to tap lightly with a mallet. I tried to clean the whole out with rust remover, etc. When it got in up to the black part, it stopped so the thing was sticking out a half inch. All the parts I've seen picture of on the web have this black part (red arrow on picture). But it wasn't on the part I pulled out. Perhaps it broke off and is still in there?

Anyone been down this road? Any tips to removal/installation?

Thanks
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
Yes it appears the black ring you are talking about broke off of original sensor. As far as getting it out; a punch and hammer if you can get to back side or a die grinder with carbide bit would work as well. Them things like to stick in pretty good sometimes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it appears the black ring you are talking about broke off of original sensor. As far as getting it out; a punch and hammer if you can get to back side or a die grinder with carbide bit would work as well. Them things like to stick in pretty good sometimes.
You were right I went out with a flashlight and pried the rest out. New sensor inserted much smoother, but only up to the ridges on the black part (yellow arrows in picture). To get further past that seemed like it will take some force. I put some anti-seize on the top of the speed sensor. Wondering if some kind of lube would help get it in? Must be pretty rusty for this minor ridges to make a difference.

Tool Plumbing Gas Cylinder Gun accessory

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
Even new its a tight fit. Get a few years on for a little rust build up and them sensors are kinda a bear. If you can get a little sanding wheel in there to polish it up a bit makes a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts